News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

RBS-140 Round Blade Sharpening Attachment

Started by Ukfraser, November 13, 2021, 01:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ukfraser

I found a rotary blade thread from 2009 and have just seen this attachment for the t2 and wondered if there was anything similar that someone has made for a t4/t8.

My daughter has an olfa rotary cutter with round 45 mm blades she uses for cutting fabric for quilting etc. As these seem to be the weapon of choice these days for all kinds of fabric cutting (judging from sewing programmes) i wondered if anyone had come across solutions that work.  I think it needs descent bearings as you rotate the blades. I can buy replacements but...

cbwx34

Quote from: Ukfraser on November 13, 2021, 01:31:14 PM
I found a rotary blade thread from 2009 and have just seen this attachment for the t2 and wondered if there was anything similar that someone has made for a t4/t8.

My daughter has an olfa rotary cutter with round 45 mm blades she uses for cutting fabric for quilting etc. As these seem to be the weapon of choice these days for all kinds of fabric cutting (judging from sewing programmes) i wondered if anyone had come across solutions that work.  I think it needs descent bearings as you rotate the blades. I can buy replacements but...

Rich shows how to modify a jig on his website, that might work....

https://sharpeninghandbook.info/GT-Rotary-Cutter.html
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

I was about to post the link to Rich's handbook also.  That is the only similar jig that a user has come up with, that I'm aware of.  However, when the RBS-140 came out, I know there was some discussion of trying to replicate it, by the use of the sleeves from two of the SVD-186 jigs, but I've not seen it done yet.  I believe there was a comment that the part of the jig that is needed is mysteriously not available as a spare part.  One would have to buy a whole 'nother jig to get it. 

But, I just looked on Advanced Machinery and the "Sleeve", which is the part that would be needed is listed as a spare part, Part #3 in the diagram shown at this link.  Click on the link for the Sleeve and it comes up without an image, price $30.95 USD. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ukfraser

Thanks

Very very useful links. It looks like you just need the sleeve and the shorter rod used for changeable gouge ends. But the whole jig opens up possibilities especially as im looking at more carving gouges.

Only need to make some sort of handle to turn it if the knob is too small so its definitely something to add to the list.

;o)