News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

toolbar thread doesn´t match to M12

Started by Pietje, November 13, 2021, 11:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pietje

Hey Folks!
I tried to put a M12 threadnut on the toolbar. It doesn´t match. What thread is on the Tormek standart toolbar?
I controlled my threadnut with a threadcutting tap and it is OK.

Pietje

micha

Hi Pietje,

the threads are M12x1.25 (standard M12 is 12x1.5).And the profile of the threading is somehow flattened or square cut and not standard.

I'm afraid you won't find such a nut anywhere (other than the Tormek micro adjust nut, of course).

RickKrung

Micha is correct that the USB thread is not a standard "V" thread, but a more squarish-rounded sort of thread.  There are actually three different thread pitches for M12, 1.25, 1.5 and 1.75mm, but what you can find to buy are all the standard "V" shape and none fit on the USB threads.  They are not ACME or "square" threads, so no commercially available tap or die that I am aware of will ever duplicate it. 

You can but Micro Adjust nuts as spare parts, from Advanced Machinery. Not cheap, but available. 

I bought a couple of the a few years ago when I wanted to use the second to help keep my calipers parallel with the vertical bar when making USB to machine measurements for angle setting.  I don't use that approach anymore, so the extras are superfluous now.  I now use the distance from the USB to the grinding stone/wheel surface for angle setting.  Faster, easier and more accurate, in my experience. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Pietje

Thanks for your technical answere.
So I will buy the toolbar from schleifunkies.de. It is higher, wider and has a standart M12 threat.
https://schleifjunkies.de/produkt/toolbar-tormek-ready-einseitig/
For 40 € a lot of problems are gone.

Pietje

Ken S

There is a logical reason why Tormek chose to use the squarish thread. After the height is adjusted with the EZYlock, the squarish thread provides a better bearing surface for the locking screw in the sleeve. Using a standard V thread would have been cheaper to manufacture, but could have been problematic in the long run.

Ken

BeSharp

Quote from: Ken S on November 13, 2021, 05:16:20 PM
There is a logical reason why Tormek chose to use the squarish thread. After the height is adjusted with the EZYlock, the squarish thread provides a better bearing surface for the locking screw in the sleeve. Using a standard V thread would have been cheaper to manufacture, but could have been problematic in the long run.

Ken

I have both bars, and agree with Ken. In addition, there could be less error when clamped. For the mentioned German support bar, my calipers measure 11.75 mm diameter. The Tormek squarish threads measures 11.98mm. In addition, Tormek uses a solid rod for the other leg, which measures 12.00 mm. The solid leg with no threads also gives better (front to back) bearing surface for the locking screw in the sleeve.

Having said that, I find the German bars having better welds.