News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Evenness of bevel width with T1/T2

Started by Ken S, November 12, 2021, 12:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

We recently had some questions about the evenness of the bevel with the new T1. With the jig design of the T1, lifting to grind a curved top is not possible. Does this mean wider bevels at the tip? I decided to find out.

I do not have a T1; however, I do have a T2, which has essentially the same knife jig as the T1. I sharpened my 8" Victorinox chef's knife with my T2. the bevel looks even over its entire length.

I did not think that Tormek would sell a machine which could not produce an even bevel; however, seeing is believing.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on November 12, 2021, 12:54:04 AM
We recently had some questions about the evenness of the bevel with the new T1. With the jig design of the T1, lifting to grind a curved top is not possible. Does this mean wider bevels at the tip? I decided to find out.

I do not have a T1; however, I do have a T2, which has essentially the same knife jig as the T1. I sharpened my 8" Victorinox chef's knife with my T2. the bevel looks even over its entire length.

I did not think that Tormek would sell a machine which could not produce an even bevel; however, seeing is believing.

Ken

Again, based more on the geometry of the knife (taper spine to edge, heel to tip, etc.), and as stated in the other thread, with most kitchen knives, the result will be minimal if at all, which is what the T-1/T-2 is designed for.

But there's nothing special about the sharpeners that will compensate for this, (other than maybe the fact that the guide limits the type of knives that can be sharpened?)... and one knife that meets the parameters, won't show a change.  (It just seems a bit misleading to say one knife didn't show a change, so no knife will?)

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

CB,

Granted, I only tested one of my knives. As my small collection of kitchen knives consists of several chef's knives, three paring knives, and a couple nakiris, I assume results for all of them would be similar. I did not mean to imply that no knife would show a change; however, these knives are "the meat and potatoes" of most kitchens. I believe that a sharpening tool which can efficiently sharpen them well would be a useful tool.

Ken