News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

CBN TIP

Started by Peter Eaton, November 07, 2021, 11:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Eaton

Having had issues with my CBN wheels taking longer to cut I learnt the other day they need cleaning and scrubbing.... :o

So I tried the normally methods such as paraffin, wire brushing etc but was not too impressed.

I then realised I had just bought some 'fallout spray' for my car alloys / paintwork. This stuff is based on Oxalic acid and it is designed to react with tiny steel particles such as brake dust... ever seen those tiny rust spots on your car paint work and wondered what they were ?

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/exterior/paint-contamination/iron-fallout

So I sprayed my CBN wheels with the fallout spray...WOW! and instant reaction, the fluid went from clear to purple as it was reacting with the steel particles and dissolving them. I then scrubbed them like hell with a steel brush and rinsed.

Result!...the 400 grit wheel looked far far better and few CBN could be seen. The 1000 grit wheel was better but still smooth, though this might be due to is being broken in as such, hence I need to do a sharpening on it and see if it cuts OK.

The other thing I did was put both wheel as section at a time in my ultrasonic tank...that also brought yet more crud out of the surface.

I expect this will also be fine on diamond wheels as remember it it does hurt car paint work you will be fine.....

Just wear rubber gloves as it pongs if you get it on your skin...

Ken ...please move if in the wrong section...

Cheers

Pete

Sharpco

Knife Grinders said "Do not use steel brush on the CBN wheel".

Peter Eaton

I bought mine for Wood Turners Wonders and was told to use a wire brush, which to be fair worked.

Then again with fallout spray you don't really need to use anything except a tooth brush I suppose as the spray dissolves the micro steel particles as it does on car paint.