News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Lube Bearings or No?

Started by darita, November 04, 2021, 02:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darita

I have a Supergrind 2005 and just installed the Stainless Steel Shaft.  I'm wondering if I should put some grease on the nylon bearings? 

cbwx34

Quote from: darita on November 04, 2021, 02:37:15 PM
I have a Supergrind 2005 and just installed the Stainless Steel Shaft.  I'm wondering if I should put some grease on the nylon bearings?

Yes... from the Tormek manual....

QuoteThe main shaft runs in special nylon bearings. They are designed to have a radial play of
0.1–0.2 mm (0.004–0.008"). This has no influence on the running of the grinding wheel, as
the load is always downwards. The bearings are greased at the factory. We recommend that
you re-grease them every year or so. Use any type of "ball bearing grease". Remove the
grinding wheel and pull out the main shaft with the honing wheel and apply grease on the
shaft and in the bearings

... (mine didn't seem to have any grease from the factory).

BTW, (if you haven't already),  if you go to the main Tormek website, tormek.com and register your machine, you can download the latest manual.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

darita

Thanks.  Didn't see it in the instructions that came with the shaft, so I thought I'd check.