News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

KnifeGrinders Software Question...

Started by darita, November 03, 2021, 03:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darita

Hope I'm ok asking here...I'm attempting to use this software for my Supergrind 2005.  What is a good starting point for the Knife Jig stop to blade edge distance?  Any other tips on using this software would be appreciated.

cbwx34

Quote from: darita on November 03, 2021, 03:43:23 PM
Hope I'm ok asking here...I'm attempting to use this software for my Supergrind 2005.  What is a good starting point for the Knife Jig stop to blade edge distance?  Any other tips on using this software would be appreciated.

Most use around 139mm for standard knives... not set in stone, but a good starting point, since it seems to fit most size knives (and I should add keeps it in the range of a decent USB height and its capability).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

CB makes a good point about the generally used 139mm Projection. This is used because the short length of the threads on the shaft to allow use of the O ring.

Software questions pertain more to knife sharpening than Tormek general questions. As moderator, I am trying to keep the software questions together for easier access. I am moving this topic to knife sharpening.

Ken

Dutchman

The 139mm originates from my proposal on angle-adjustment in the documents you can find at the links in my signature.
You can find the following citations:
Quote• Length between stop and clamp edge  is adjustable from 108 to 125 mm
and
QuoteConsider a cooks knife with a width of 45mm. The jig can grip the knife to a depth of 14mm. As a consequence the knife edge extends 31mm from the clamp.
Thus the distance A between the knife edge and the adjustable stop can be varied between 108+31 and 125+31 mm, that is from 139mm to 156mm.

Because the adjustment range is 17mm, all knives with a width between 28 and 45mm can thus be set to a Projection distance of 139mm.
Knives with a smaller width must therefore be set to a smaller Projection and therefore also a different USB height

Ken S

Dutchman, you are quite correct. I studied your original research intensely when I was developing the kenjig, several years ago. Your work is the foundation of the kenjig. I need to reread my source material periodically; the part you mentioned must have escaped my memory. Thanks for mentioning it.

Ken