News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Using the T4 as a deburring and honing station?

Started by LarK, January 13, 2022, 02:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarK

Hello friends!
Just found a shop here in Sweden that offers sharpening services but also sells stuff for sharpeners. Apparently in their shop they use first a T8 for sharpening and then use a dual leatherwheel setup on a T4 as a deburring and polishing station. The leatherwheels are different in texture and stiffnes for different honing agents.
What do you think about this approach?
I already have a standard leather wheel, one extra with chromiumoxide and a composite wheel.
What I like about these wheels is that they are 250mm diam. Maybe it would be nice to just keep the composite wheel on the T8 and use the T4 setup with 2 full size 250mm leather wheels? Is this setup worth it?
Any input is appreciated 😊👍

Ken S

Interesting thought, Lark. Incidentally, for those of you who are not aware of it, The T4 and T8 main shafts are the same diameter and thread size. And, although both the T4 and T2 are designed to use 200 mm grinding wheels, a 250 mm wheel also fits if the water trough is removed. And, the T2/4 shaft turns at 120 RPM, as opposed to 100 RPM for the T8.

Combining a T8 and a T4 opens up many possibilities for a Tormeker with imagination. (So would two of the same models.) We live in interesting times. Please keep us posted.

Ken

LarK

Exactly my thoughts aswell Ken! It is a cheaper way to complement my T8 and Im seriously thinking about this setup. Would be an easier choice if I hadn't already gotten extra standard leatherwheels for my T8... But yes the increased rpm of the T4 is also a plus.
They seem to have a cooperation with Tormek as they are selling the T4 barebones with the two leather wheels, extended double bar and the FVB, even some diamondemulsion and a simple jig measure block for  under 300 USD.
I just have to justify the cost for this setup... 😂
The owner did a short video on youtube and claims to get below 100 Bess as a standard which seems great!

John_B

LarK, I have found that nearly all of my customers are happy with the sharpness I obtain using the standard setup with a T-8. I return their knives considerably sharper than when they were brand new out of the box. For my knives and one other customer I use an additional leather wheel and 1ยต diamonds. I personally would not make this investment unless there was some demand for the service. It does sound like a good idea though.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

LarK

I agree with your input John 👍
My customers are happy aswell with my results. This would however reduce my time per knife and give a more even result when deburring. Today I mostly do freehand deburring on my T8 and I really like the feeling of that and the craftmanship but at the same time I know my limitations.
But yes I will not be investing in this atm. I might in the future since it includes an fvb and other good to have stuff 😊

On a side note: On the site they sell a teflon tape to put on the guide bar to reduce friction and give a steadier grind. What are your thoughts on this? I have noted a small drag between my guide bar and pin pivot collar. Might this help?
//Kristian

cbwx34

Quote from: LarK on January 16, 2022, 10:46:06 AM
On a side note: On the site they sell a teflon tape to put on the guide bar to reduce friction and give a steadier grind. What are your thoughts on this? I have noted a small drag between my guide bar and pin pivot collar. Might this help?
//Kristian

A tiny drop of oii/teflon lube/etc. rubbed on the guide bar, will do the job.  I'd pass on the tape.

Also, one thought on the T-4 with two wheels that came to mind... they are very close together, and I think that may be a problem, depending on how you're planning to use them.  If it's an option, you may want to look at a buffer with a set of paper wheels?
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

John_B

I found that honing with the FVB improved my sharpening but it also added a consistency akin to what you get when sharpening.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

LarK

Great inputs. I will definitely add some teflon lube to my guide bar and test it out! Thanks for the tip!   :D
Concerning the distance between the wheels on the T4 I dont see this as a major problem for most of the knives I sharpen and it is pretty easy to dismount if needed. But a valid point idd  :)
I would really like a buffer with paper wheels aswell, but I like the slow speed and portability of the T4 and less noise.