News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Axe jig

Started by capt rich, October 19, 2021, 07:23:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt rich

My axe jig does not move freely across tool bar. Tried silicone spray on both???

Ken S

Capt. Rich,

Two possibilities come to mind:

Either the support bar or the ax jig bearing surface (or both) may not be smooth. Does your SE-77 slide smoothly?
If not, I would suspect the ax jig bearing surfaces.

OR, the U shape of the ax jig may be a little out of alignment.

If it is a rough surface, some ultra fine wet or dry sandpaper gently applied with lubricant should solve the problem. If the jig is slightly out of alignment, a little gentle pursuasion might do the trick.

Keep us posted.

Ken

Willym

I've "eased" the internal surfaces of jigs using some fine silicon carbide abrasive paper wrapped around some dowel rod. My go to lubricant for sliding surfaces is candle wax, it won't attract dirt, but is dirt cheap.

capt rich

When I get a chance  I'll try these suggestions

Herman Trivilino

The axe jig has nylon bearings that ride on the tool bar. I just tested mine. The tool bar is quite rusty right now and even so the axe jig moves freely. There is even a bit of play that allows me to wiggle the jig. So, I think Ken's suggestion that the holes in the jig are not parallel is the likely culprit. I would examine it closely and also see if it wiggles a bit when on the tool bar. You could try to bend it into shape, or contact Tormek support and see if they will replace it.
Origin: Big Bang

Stickan

Hi,
Run the threaded leg on the bar thru the jig a couple of times, this removes any edge in the bushing if that would be the issue.

Best,
Stig