News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Homemade pivot collar for knife jig

Started by Antz, May 28, 2019, 08:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I have never needed a pivot collar, although I do have a couple. (My knives are mostly straight kitchen knives and traditional pocket knives.) That said, I believe any of the pivot designs in this topic should work well.

From working with the kenjig for many years, I have become very aware of the relationship between Projection and Distance. I believe in using whichever is easier. With a pivot collar, adjusting the Distance between the grinding wheel and the support bar might be easier than fiddling with the adjustable stop for a fine adjustment. Your call; it's nice to have choices.

Ken

capt rich

Why not continue the threads down the shaft by using a die?

Ken S

Good thought, however, the threads on the knife jig shafts are a non standard size. They are also a non standard shape. And, the new jig design with the O ring will only work with a shorter thread length.

Ken

tgbto

It also seems to me that the pivot collar solves the annoying tendancy of the stock collar to rotate, changing the projection length.

Rimu

This looks interesting, but I'm not exactly sure I understand what it does... Is this just a more stable version of the built-in handle? Or does it help with the end stroke where you need to pivot up for the knife tip? Is there a video of one of these in action?

cbwx34

Quote from: Rimu on October 13, 2021, 09:55:50 AM
This looks interesting, but I'm not exactly sure I understand what it does... Is this just a more stable version of the built-in handle? Or does it help with the end stroke where you need to pivot up for the knife tip? Is there a video of one of these in action?

Ton of info in this thread.... worth the read (but start on p.5 if you just want the reason behind the smaller collar).

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2589.0
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

cbwx34

Quote from: tgbto on October 13, 2021, 08:20:15 AM
It also seems to me that the pivot collar solves the annoying tendancy of the stock collar to rotate, changing the projection length.

I wrapped some painters tape on the jig, then screwed the stop collar on over it, to avoid this (when I used the stock collar).

RickKrung

It took me a bit to (think) I understand this statement.  Are you saying that the stock collar, the type with the O-ring friction tends to rotate on the shaft, thus causing it to move up or down on the shaft, which results in a change in projection length?  If so, I agree that tendency is annoying.  I solved it by buying Tormek extra locking knobs and drilling/tapping the collar so the collar can be positively locked in place.  This means removing and not using the O-ring.  This is the way the collar used to be, until Tormek changed to the O-ring. 

The thing that was a little confusing for me about the statement is that the point of the pivot collar is so you can pivot in order to better maintain a projection closer to the one set by the collar. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Guelgo

Just posted on another topic an alternative to this.
Wouldn't it be easier for those who haven't the financial condition just to turn 2 wood "knobs" and round their base so it can pivot.
I made (I tried at least) my own version of it. Made 2 wood "knobs". One flat and one rounded for the exact purpose of this topic :)
Although it does not worth the effort making the whole version of the SVM-45, it totally worths just turning the 2 knobs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHrh2nmpYKU

cbwx34

Quote from: Guelgo on October 13, 2021, 10:38:50 PM
Just posted on another topic an alternative to this.
Wouldn't it be easier for those who haven't the financial condition just to turn 2 wood "knobs" and round their base so it can pivot.
I made (I tried at least) my own version of it. Made 2 wood "knobs". One flat and one rounded for the exact purpose of this topic :)
Although it does not worth the effort making the whole version of the SVM-45, it totally worths just turning the 2 knobs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHrh2nmpYKU

Cheapest (I think) is probably a shaft collar I posted before... https://www.mcmaster.com/9506T6/

You can also cut the sides off the stock collar (some examples in this thread).... https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3522

But if you have the skill and tools, your examples look good!  :)

tgbto

Quote from: RickKrung on October 13, 2021, 03:16:02 PM

It took me a bit to (think) I understand this statement.  Are you saying that the stock collar, the type with the O-ring friction tends to rotate on the shaft, thus causing it to move up or down on the shaft, which results in a change in projection length?  If so, I agree that tendency is annoying.

Rick

Exactly! And I will try taping over the thread, to see if it improves things...