News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Is there a an alternative for the TT-50 Diamond Bit?

Started by Rimu, October 13, 2021, 10:26:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rimu

I was wonder if anyone has found an alternative for the TT-50 Diamond Bit? That part seems very expensive for what looks like a few specks of industrial diamond...

Just a quick search on aliexpress turns up very similar looking bits in the $5 range...

Also: why random specks and not a single point?

Arthur

Quote from: Rimu on October 13, 2021, 10:26:42 AM
I was wonder if anyone has found an alternative for the TT-50 Diamond Bit? That part seems very expensive for what looks like a few specks of industrial diamond...

Just a quick search on aliexpress turns up very similar looking bits in the $5 range...

Also: why random specks and not a single point?
I am using TT-50 with some modification

Ken S

Ken S

Rimu,

It would help if you provided some background information. Are you missing the diamond cluster; is it worn out; or, do you not have a truing tool? In all three of these scenarios, the ideal solution is just to purchase the new (2019) version of the TT-50. For not much more than the cost of a diamond cluster you get the whole truing tool of the newest design.

However, that is not really your question. My second choice would be a fairly coarse flat diamond stone. 2 x6" should be large enough. I would mount it in your square edge jig. Used with care, results should be close to the TT-50.
Personally, I would economize elsewhere. My original TT-50 from 2009 is still going strong with its original diamond cluster. I believe we are already seeing the transformation to diamond wheels which will make wheel truing obsolete in the future.

With either the TT-50 or a homebrew option, I believe the key to success is frequent, light truing. Do not allow your grinding wheel to get far from true.

Ken

Arthur

Quote from: Ken S on October 13, 2021, 05:18:18 PM
Clever modification.

Ken
Thanks Ken! I use about 10 different circles of different grain sizes on my T4. I use a variety of diamonds to dress the wheels. I also have a TT50 version of 2019. I also have a rust eraser.  ;)

Ken S

Ah ha!....a fellow innovator.

You are ahead of me, Arthur. I only have eight wheels for my T4, and even that is overkill.

Ken

Guelgo

tim

A single point diamond is better than a cluster. Google surface grinding supplies and look for diamond dressers. You will find a variety of shank sizes. Be careful though,  that are fragile. Might be why Tormek uses clusters.

Ken S

Tim,

I have an old single point diamond dresser that I purchased twenty years ago for my dry grinder. I never had any complaints with it, although I seem to remember having to use it carefully. I have not used it in ten years.

I also have no complaints with the Tormek TT-50. Tormek has used the same diamond cluster since before the TT-50. In those many years, if a single point diamond worked better, I can't imagine Tormek not switching.

Ken

tim

Hey Ken
In the surface grinding world a single point diamond gives the best finish. No disrespect to Tormek but that's what a career in toolmaking taught me.