News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

My FVB Build

Started by Mitch, November 10, 2021, 08:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mitch

Hi team,

Hope you're all well.

Decided to make a FVB over the last couple of days.. after botching a couple of attempts with wood (no drill press) and not being able to find any 50mm x 25mm aluminium/steel box section locally, I resorted to stacking 2 sections of 25.4mm x 25.4mm aluminium tube. I'll secure the top and bottom together tomorrow (drill 6mm holes through the bottom and middle sections, widen the bottom holes to allow access for M6 bolts, then bolt together). For now it's been more than rigid enough to use. Though I cleared all the chaff around the drilled holes, I still had to do some tweaking to get things lined up true and not get bound up when installing on the T8. I'll be testing whether the use of flat washers forces the threaded rod to a perfect 90 degree angle off the box section). The 90mm spacing I thought I'd drilled perfectly ended up a touch too wide.. bored the 12mm holes out a little to allow the M12 threaded rod some room to move in. Other than that, relatively problem free build.

M12 threaded rod, 180mm x 2
M12 nuts x 4
M6 x 20mm nuts and bolts x 4
25.4" x 25.4" aluminium box section, 2 x 120mm
XB-100 from Tormek

https://imgur.com/a/Pcj4Hrd

(will figure out in-line images tomorrow)

Thanks heaps to everyone who's put up their designs, it's such a relief being able to hone without getting hung up on the back knob of the knife jig.

Mitch

Ken S

Mitch,
An FVB is a useful accessory; however, it is not the only way to hone without getting hung up on the back locking knob. Replacing the plastic lock knobs with M6x1x10 socket set screws (one for each knife jig and two the horizontal sleeves). A very small amount of the back of the knife jig needs to be ground away or filed. This is very quick to do and in no way effects the functionality of the jig. After I did this, both honing and grinding my ten inch chef knife with my my T4 and US-430 were no problem.
Ken

Mitch

Haha.. I wish I knew that beforehand! Thanks Ken.

Is there a compilation anywhere in the forum of mods like this and the FVB? I've been searching through old threads for a while, and was thinking it'd be helpful to have a sticky here similar to what's available on SharpeningHandbook.

Ken S

Mitch,
There is no cataloging of FVB posts that I know of. Although the FVB is popular among us, it is a Knife Grinders product rather than a Tormek product.
Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Mitch on November 10, 2021, 09:19:03 PM
Is there a compilation anywhere in the forum of mods like this and the FVB? I've been searching through old threads for a while, and was thinking it'd be helpful to have a sticky here similar to what's available on SharpeningHandbook.

There is FVB examples in this thread (if that's what you're looking for)...

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2635.0
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Mitch

I was meaning more in general, a compilation of all the really valuable threads (like 'To Pivot or Not Pivot'). Jigs and mods like Herman's knife grinding platform and the USB to stone measuring solutions.

If people were keen I'd be happy to list all the threads I've found incredibly useful. The pivot thread alone saved me untold time.

cbwx34

Quote from: Mitch on November 12, 2021, 06:12:18 AM
I was meaning more in general, a compilation of all the really valuable threads (like 'To Pivot or Not Pivot'). Jigs and mods like Herman's knife grinding platform and the USB to stone measuring solutions.

If people were keen I'd be happy to list all the threads I've found incredibly useful. The pivot thread alone saved me untold time.

I say, go for it. ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)