News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

dressing stone

Started by Yon, September 26, 2021, 06:05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yon

hello, ive had my tormek T8 for a litle over a month now and its great. however the stone that comes with it to change the grade of the grinding wheel, has become rather smooth on the course side. is this common? it still works to change the grade of the grindwheel but it takes much longer to bring the grindstone back to 220 grit then id did when it was new.
am i doing something wrong or that just how it goes?
thanks
yon

micha

Yon,
welcome to the forum.

A bit of wear and clogging on the stone grader is perfectly normal, I suppose. I think many of us used the stone grade a bit too 'gentle' in the beginning. Both the stone and the grader can tolerate quite a bit of pressure.
Using the edges of the stone grader is another method of enhancing the effects.
Some don't use the stone grader at all, some use diamond plates instead.

You may find some further information here:
https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3679.msg24179#msg24179
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOTVL-nszyg
Mike

Yon

yeah ive been using the edges to get a better result. or just holding the stone harder and longer if im feeling "zen"
thanks Micha
y

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Yon on September 26, 2021, 06:05:29 AM
hello, ive had my tormek T8 for a litle over a month now and its great. however the stone that comes with it to change the grade of the grinding wheel, has become rather smooth on the course side. is this common?

It happened to me.

Quoteit still works to change the grade of the grindwheel but it takes much longer to bring the grindstone back to 220 grit then id did when it was new.
am i doing something wrong or that just how it goes?
thanks
yon

I think it's just how it goes. You need to use the edges of the course side of the stone grader and don't be afraid to apply a lot of force. The edges of the course side of the stone grader will eventually round over a bit, which will increase its effectiveness.

The smooth side of the stone grader will develop a concavity to its surface. This is also a good thing as it increases the effectiveness.
Origin: Big Bang