News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Quick tip: Diamond facing

Started by micha, September 18, 2021, 08:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

micha

For some of the flat grind needs one may encounter from time to time, this might be an interesting option.
I got curious when I saw these the other day: https://www.thk.hk/online-cart.php?cid=36&sid=51
These flat lap "wheels" are actually disks with a thickness of only 1.2mm, that means you can even mount them on the face of a conventional stone if not worn out too badly.
250mm, a 12mm bore and a variety of grits from 60 to 3000 - I just had to order some and give it a try - works fine.
You'll need a spacer between the Tormek stone and the Ezylock so that the diamond disk stays dead flat. 

As this is a bit of a makeshift solution, I'll make a base plate for these disks that will allow for better tightening of the Ezylock.
Mike

Ken S

Interesting idea, Mike. Keep us posted.

Ken

micha

Some news on the project - I haven't managed to make a proper support wheel yet, but asked the company about using the disks wet.

They answered it was mandatory to use these with water, especially on faster machines.
Using Anti Corrosion Concentrate is not regarded as necessary, using water without any additives should be good enough, they said.

Will keep the disks dry after use, anyway. I actually didn't notice any rust on the disks I've used so far.

Mike

Willym

Some good possibilities here. I wonder if a custom wheel could be made as a backer - from something waterproof like HDPE, or MDF that has been well coated with epoxy resin. It could have different grit facings on the two sides.

micha

Bill, that's a great idea, too.
So far I plan to make just a simple disk from some POM I've got and change the disks as I need them. (I got 4 different grits, 150, 320, 800 and 1500)

I really like the extended grinding surface from these lapping wheels, as the coating goes right to the center. The 150 grit disk is milling away a lot of material quite quickly, compared to what I usually use.

THK also offers some 10" base plates (aluminum 10mm) which you could stack or use them with spacers without machining anything.

BeSharp

Interesting- thanks for posting. And one can lower the grinding speed by grinding closer to the center.

micha

Quote from: BeSharp on September 23, 2021, 03:59:23 PM
And one can lower the grinding speed by grinding closer to the center.
That's true, great for narrower tools. However, for wider blades you have to consider the difference in speed between the center and the borders, when using the full width.
Actually it's a linear increase, so the circumferal speed on the border is 10 times higher than at 25mm, next to the EzyLock. I guess one has to develop a feeling for that.
Mike