News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Setting USB parallel to grinding surface with AngleCube

Started by micha, September 06, 2021, 02:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

micha

Some of you have already put the AngleCube to good use and there are quite some interesting applications for it. I sometimes tried to use the AngleCube for setting the USB parallel to the stone, especially when setting up the SE-77. Immediately after truing, you can be sure it's parallel, but after (re)moving the USB once that may be gone. To obtain proper results with an AngleCube, it's necessary that the AngleCube is perpendicular to the stone and perfectly in line with the USB. Otherwise it's just guesswork.

Finally an idea for a little helper came up, and I wanted to give it a try. So here's the prototype (CNC milled from scrap wood and somewhat looking like a ruined clothes hanger  :D ).
As you can see, it didn't come out too big. There are 2 pieces of 12mm steel rod inserted below the USB-notch, so the center of gravity is below the USB, which makes it more stable. It might have been better to put these even lower, but it works o.k.

It's useful for

• setting the Anglecube on the stone and zero it (I understand that could be done without any jig, but it's easy and more stable)
  • putting the jig on the USB and aligning the USB while the AngleCube stays in place.
It's quite easy and according to the probe results are repeatable.

Mike

micha

Just wanted to add the CAD files - a 2D-DXF drawing and a 3D-model in different formats.
(Win10 has a built-in 3D-Viewer for 3mf and stl, by the way.)

Mike

tgbto

Hey Mike,

It never ceases to amaze me how you guys seem to use CNCs as easily if not more than we do CAD software or just plain paper and pencil.

I'm wondering: what do you think it the added precision compared to holding the anglecube to the same machinist square we use to check if we grind chisel edges square ?

micha

Hi tgbto,

for just checking the angle, setting the AngleCube on the square is precise enough. The main advantage is that it sits on the USB and stays there so I have both hands free and can operate the support bar and the locking screws and simultaneously watch the display in real time.

Probably more a matter of convenience and laziness than of precision.  :D It certainly falls more in the "nice-to-have" than in the "must-have" category...

That's why I love my CNC so much, it makes it so easy to realize many of those (sometimes weird) ideas.

Mike

Willym

Nice work Mike. I enjoy using my CNC also -accurate and repeatable.