News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Setting up USB for the DBS-22

Started by micha, September 04, 2021, 02:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

micha

This may not be a very innovative idea, but as I found it to be quite helpful, I thought I'd share that.

The template that comes with the DBS-22 is used to set the 14mm distance between the wheel and the USB.
Not a big deal, but it doesn't tell anything about the stone surface and the USB being parallel or not.

Thus I turned a simple cylinder, a little wider than the stone, with a 12mm bore and 14mm wall thickness for the distance.
In other words, 40mm diameter with a 12mm hole. Checking the setup in good light and from the right angle makes it quite easy to see the proper alignment of the USB.

Besides, and maybe even more useful, it's a great tool to quickly check the trueness of stones, if put on the top USB and simply turning the wheel while in contact with the cylinder. (Won't grind into the USB this way)

Mike

RichColvin

Mike,

That's a great idea.  I would like to add it to the Sharpening Handbook if you don't mind.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

micha

Rich,
of course I don't mind, it's an honour to contribute something to the great Sharpening Handbook!  ;)
I'm glad you find it useful, too.
Sincerely,
Mike

Ken S

Interesting idea, Mike. Thanks for sharing.
Ken

RichColvin

Mike,
It is online.  https://sharpeninghandbook.info/indexJigs.html#DBS22USB
Let me know if I should update anything.
Kind regards,Rich
Rich Colvin

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

micha

Rich,

thanks for adding my humble idea.

It might be worth mentioning that the wall thickness of 14mm is not arbitrary, but equates to the USB-stone-distance usually set by the DBS template.

Kind regards,
Mike

RichColvin

Rich Colvin

Ken S

Mike,
If your spacer was made with the length being the same as the very losable, but necessary, Tormek plastic spacer to keep the shaft in place when the grinding wheel is removed, it could do double duty.
Ken

micha

Ken,

I had thought about that for a short moment. But for checking the stone's flatness it's necessary to have at least 50mm for the T8.
The actual plastic spacer is around 45mm. (Remember that the stones are recessed where the EzyLock is.) That is why a 50mm spacer would leave very little of the thread accessible.
Mike

RickKrung

Quote from: micha on September 05, 2021, 02:19:24 PM
snip...
that is why a 50mm spacer would leave very little of the thread accessible.
Mike

Certainly true, but does the "gauge" actually need to span the entire width of the stone surface?  Can you not determine squareness with just a little less length? 

I use such a shop-made, aluminum spacer for my T8. It is 46mm long and looks to me to be quite functional in spanning enough of the stone surface but it looks to me as though there is enough thread available if one wanted to make it 50mm long.  I have a second inboard wheel spacer and with it on with the alum. spacer, the nut engages with 1/4 turn at 51.5mm length.  Enough to hold, but shortening the alum. spacer to 50 or 49mm would provide a little more comfortable engagement. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

micha

Hi Rick,

thanks for checking that. I had the same results, with about a quarter turn of the nut it looked a little strange, but admittedly it held firmly.

I still think covering the whole width of the stone is an advantage for checking the stone at a glance. (Sharpening bowl gouges can leave the surface in strange shapes.)When setting up the USB for the DBS-22 I have a better grip on the longer size.

But of course there are good reasons to make it shorter, if one prefers versatility.
Mike

Ken S

Mike,

Your idea of using a turned cylinder with the DBS-22 opens up lots of possibilities. I particularly like being able to easily check the trueness of the grinding wheel with it.

Another possibility which comes to mind is any Distance setting which is repeatable. This is especially useful with diamond or CBN wheels which do not change in diameter.

Good thinking, Mike!

Ken

micha

Thanks, Ken!
I've learned so much in this illustrious forum, I'm glad I can contribute to it.  ;)
Mike

Ken S