News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

leather honing wheel

Started by SRT.cni, August 14, 2022, 09:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRT.cni

Hi All out there.
I just thought I would put my nose into the forum.
On my old m/c I decided to make a modification by making a new stainless steel main shaft no more rust problems changing the wheel ( annealed 440C )to carry the wheels and instead of having the leather honing wheel on it both ends can carry a regular or diamond wheel. Now I have a 300 grit CBN wheel on one end and a 1200 grit cbn wheel on the other.
So far I am well pleased with the new setup as the 1200 grit wheel is almost as good as the leather one but then times quicker.
Your thoughts on this. I only sharpen my knives and chisels etc no business involvement.

cbwx34

Quote from: SRT.cni on August 14, 2022, 09:53:53 PM
Hi All out there.
I just thought I would put my nose into the forum.
On my old m/c I decided to make a modification by making a new stainless steel main shaft no more rust problems changing the wheel ( annealed 440C )to carry the wheels and instead of having the leather honing wheel on it both ends can carry a regular or diamond wheel. Now I have a 300 grit CBN wheel on one end and a 1200 grit cbn wheel on the other.
So far I am well pleased with the new setup as the 1200 grit wheel is almost as good as the leather one but then times quicker.
Your thoughts on this. I only sharpen my knives and chisels etc no business involvement.

I think if you're stopping after the 1200g wheel, you're most likely leaving a (pretty decent) burr on the edge.  So I guess it just depends on whether the knife/chisel/etc. works for you.  But a properly deburred edge would most likely perform better / last longer.

If you want an easy finishing step (at least for knives), consider adding something like a fine ceramic rod... a couple of light alternate passes should give a noticeable improvement.  (There are of course, other methods... just picking a quick & easy one).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)