News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

a you tube which includes the ancestor of the Tormek

Started by Ken S, August 11, 2021, 01:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutchman

That castle is being built in France.
See https://guedelon.fr/fr (you can select english language in the top row)
During holiday in 2014 we spent a day there in a medieval atmosphere. The diversity of crafts displayed at work is overwhelming and unforgettable.

Ken S

Ton,
I am so pleased that you replied. I realize this topic is not strictly about the Tormek; however, I believe it appeals to the broader interest in toolmaking and sharpening. I confess to a lifelong interest in history.

You are certainly one of our most influential forum members, both for the forum in general and for me personally. Your grinding angles booklet has sparked the whole precision setting of knives movement. You have been a pioneer.
Your work is much appreciated.

Ken

Willym

I saw this on our public broadcaster's channel here in Ontario. The same cast has done a range of historical recreation programs in the UK - agriculture, victorian living, steam railways etc. I find them fascinating also.

Ken S

Willym,

I believe there is a primal satisfaction in sharpening. Our species has been using sharp tools since before we discovered iron.

I happen to enjoy the slower, quiet, dust and heat free Tormek environment. It seems more primal to me.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Ken

Willym

I think that "quiet" is the key. While I use a number of power tools, I get the most satisfaction when using hand tools - especially a well sharpened chisel plane or cabinet scraper. My Tormek is also  in the quiet category!

RichColvin

Quote from: Willym on August 19, 2021, 09:52:56 PM
I think that "quiet" is the key. While I use a number of power tools, I get the most satisfaction when using hand tools - especially a well sharpened chisel plane or cabinet scraper. My Tormek is also  in the quiet category!

I could not agree more!  Well said!
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.