News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

reversing the direction of the grinding wheel

Started by mptvexl, August 02, 2021, 10:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mptvexl

Hi I'm new to the forum.
I have just acquired a Tormek, a Typ SA-250/240.  I had used a Tormek before and I'm sure the wheel turned towards the chisel where as this one works away from the chisel edge.  I watched a few youtube videos and all the tormeks worked towards the blade but it may have been the model.  Mine is older and maybe that's the way it is. Is it? Is there a way of making the wheel turn in the other direction?.
Oh And the other thing.  The wheel needs to be pushed to start.  Is there a way of increasing the grip of the motor spindle against the drive wheel?
Thanks for looking
Michael

micha

Michael,
welcome to the forum.
In the SA-250 videos I've watched so far the wheel turns edge-leading, against the blade. Like here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OM-SBIICk8. Is that the same machine as yours?
If so, there's something strange going on ;). I'd contact Tormek support, they are trying to help with older machines' issues, too.

If it's just the missing grip of the motor spindle that requires pushing your wheel (and not e.g. the capacitor of the motor itself) using some sandpaper on the rubber of the drive wheel should restore the grip just fine.

Mike

Stickan

Hi,
The direction has always been the same. If you need to push the stone to get it going it's either the capacitor that needs to be replaced or that the drivewheel is slippery. Use sandpaper on the drivewheel to get fresh rubber. If the capacitor is bad, you have less power in the machine too.
Best,
Stig

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Michael.

The "240" designation on your Tormek makes me think that you may have the model designed for the European 50Hz 240 volt electric current. You don't state where you live. Unless you happen to live in North America, you have the right model.

Mike's advice to contact support (support@tormek.se) is right on. Mats in support is very experienced with working on older models. I have found him very helpful in many emails.

Ken

mptvexl

Hi Thanks for all the replies.   No it's not the same machine. I live in the uk.  I will contact tormek support, what is their e mail address?  What I will do is upload a youtube video (tomorrow) of it in action and hopefully you will see the problem.  I can kind of handle it going the wrong way (in my mind) but it kind of goes against the grain or with......not
Michael

micha

Michael,
their mail address is support@tormek.se

You may also find further useful information on the Tormek website: https://www.tormek.com/uk/en
Please keep us posted.

mptvexl

Hi Been a bit busy.   Thanks for the address.  I got round to making a youtube video,  https://youtu.be/w8uvM145bBI  , to give you a better idea, don't think I'll get an oscar.  I reckon it's the capacitor, which could be at fault or maybe just wired up wrong.  Stiil haven't contacted Tormek support but will. Thanks
M