News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

A ruler for measuring USB to stone distance

Started by Ringarn67, July 29, 2021, 11:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringarn67

I have designed a ruler for measuring distance from USB to stone. It is designed for 3dprinting
I designed it so the numbers are against the stone for better accuracy, if the ruler is between the numbers and wheel there is a risk for parallax error

All measurement is from TormekCalc

All files is here:
https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/72237-tormek-usb-wheel-ruler
Link goes to external site with no login

micha

Urban,
that is a brilliant solution! Thanks for sharing your work and the files.

Mike

John_B

Can you explain the 3 files; what are differences?

Thank you
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ringarn67

Quote from: john.jcb on July 30, 2021, 05:24:11 PM
Can you explain the 3 files; what are differences?

Thank you

3mf-files is slicer program files for generating g-code to 3d-printer
"Tormek-USB-GrindingWheel-Ruler-HeightModifier.3mf" is with "Height Modifier", a setting to adjust layer height, among many other things, on different height when printing
"Tormek-USB-GrindingWheel-Ruler.3mf" is a simple 3mf-file without adjusters
"Tormek-USB-GrindingWheel-Ruler-HeightModifier.stl" stl is a cad-format, you can open it with most cad-software.

Ken S

This is an interesting project. I plan to motivate my grandson to print one for me.

Ken

LarK

Wonderful! Thank you for this!

Kristian
Sweden

gpopivanov

Willym

Great idea! I have no 3D printer, but I will try to make an SVG file for use on my CNC. Either plastic on aluminium.

micha

Here are two files for those who want to cut the USB ruler on a CNC mill or laser.
(It is just a reduced 2D version with fewer lines.)
Thanks to Urban for his kind permission!

Mike

Willym

Thanks Mike. I just cut one to a file that I made, it looks identical to yours. I used a 45 degree V bit, V carved the numerals, and cut the graduations 0.5 mm deep. I used Lexan , but I would cut a little shallower next time to get crisper lines - may 0.35 mm deep. The scale is accurate though. <y photos a little crude - done with laptop against my shirt.

Willym

The ruler turns out better in 0.125 Aluminum. This was my first go at machining Al on my CNC, and it turned out OK. The divisions don't show up well in the photo, but are actually easy to read.