News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Flat Grind on Side of Diamond Wheel

Started by Strangebloke, July 21, 2021, 09:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strangebloke

Hi
I've got a question about flat grinding carving tools using the mb-100 and diamond wheel. During your sharpening class part 9 you showed flat grinding a V tool using the svd-186. You showed grinding one side of the tool flat and said you can just roll it over to grind the other side. But that means the point is facing the rotation of the wheel. Won't it catch?
Same with a curved gouge. I understand using a narrow corridor to try and even out the grinding rates. But when you're rolling the curve to the right how do you avoid catching the corner?
Thanks for all the sharpening videos, they're excellent. Leaning towards buying a Tormek soon.

RichColvin

Martin,
No, it won't catch.  It is the same as if you were sharpening with the grindstone rotating towards the edge of the blade vs. away from it.  There are a few operations you don't want to do that way, but most are OK.
Kind regards,Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Strangebloke

Hi Rich

That's a good point. I hadn't thought of it like that.
Cheers for replying.
Mart