News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Can I use DBS-22 on T-4?

Started by Sharpco, July 13, 2021, 10:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

micha

Hi Sharpco,
yes, you can. I know some people who do so on a T-3 and T-4, too.

Mike

Sharpco

Quote from: micha on July 13, 2021, 10:37:27 AM
Hi Sharpco,
yes, you can. I know some people who do so on a T-3 and T-4, too.

Mike

Thank you

Ken S

Sharpco,

The DBS-22 can be used with drill bits up to 22mm (7/8") in diameter. Tormek has told me that sharpening bits that large (22mm) can be taxing on the motor of the T4. However, homeowners and light contractors rarely need bits larger than 12mm (1/2").

I would think the T4 would be quite capable for most users, including users who occasionally need to sharpen larger bits. Drill bits are often abused. For someone wanting to sharpen drill bits professionally, I would recommend the zt8.

Ken

Sharpco

Quote from: Ken S on July 13, 2021, 11:11:35 PM
Sharpco,

The DBS-22 can be used with drill bits up to 22mm (7/8") in diameter. Tormek has told me that sharpening bits that large (22mm) can be taxing on the motor of the T4. However, homeowners and light contractors rarely need bits larger than 12mm (1/2").

I didn't know that. Thanks for information Ken.

Ken S

Sharpco,

I consider the DBS-22 to be Tormek's most advanced jig. In skilled hands, it can produce amazing results.

I use mine infrequently. I always watch Alan Holtham's excellent youtube before using it to refresh my knowledge.

Ken

Sharpco

Quote from: Ken S on July 14, 2021, 12:34:48 PM
Sharpco,

I consider the DBS-22 to be Tormek's most advanced jig. In skilled hands, it can produce amazing results.

I use mine infrequently. I always watch Alan Holtham's excellent youtube before using it to refresh my knowledge.

I agree. It's amazing jig.  ;D

Arthur

Quote from: Sharpco on July 13, 2021, 10:20:05 AM
Can I use DBS-22 on T-4?
I am using a DBS-22 with a T4 for sharpening drills. Works great. Sharpening stone from Makita silicon carbide 120 grit.

Sharpco

Quote from: Arthur on August 07, 2021, 01:47:14 PM
Can I use DBS-22 on T-4?
I am using a DBS-22 with a T4 for sharpening drills. Works great. Sharpening stone from Makita silicon carbide 120 grit.

Thank you.

Ken S

Quote from: Sharpco on August 07, 2021, 02:06:57 PM
Quote from: Arthur on August 07, 2021, 01:47:14 PM
Can I use DBS-22 on T-4?

Thank you.

I believe that in the hands of a skilled, innovative, and patient sharpener, the T4 can do anything that the T8 can do. Like Arthur, I had to venture beyond the Tormek offerings to achieve some of this. In my case, I used Norton 46 and 80 grit grinding wheels. I was not aware of the Makita wheels until Arthur's post.
I welcome the arrival of Tormek's new line of three 200 mm (for the T4) diamond grinding wheels later this year. At the same time, I am puzzled that Tormek has never offered a coarse grinding wheel in either diameter.

We need more adventurous members like Sharpco and Arthur who ask why not?

Keep on asking.

Ken