News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

HSS Lathe turning tool

Started by dusmif, June 25, 2021, 09:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dusmif

Hi, is it there a way to sharpen/modify Hss lathe turningb tools on the Tormek please?
Thanks
Alf.

micha

Hi Alf,

are we talking about HSS bits for (metal) lathes? There are some with quite complex geometry, which might be hard to shape on the Tormek.
Simpler ones can be done on the SVS-50 or the SVD-110, depending on the geometry.
Yet shaping these from a HSS blank is quite time consuming. But just touching up an existing shape usually works quite well and might even work freehand.
The SB-stones may be better for grinding HSS, but it's not mandatory.

Mike

dusmif

Thank You Mike, I have the SVD-110, so I will give it a try.
And Yes correct, I am talking about HSS bits for the Lathe, yes some are very small,
Alf

RickKrung

Rich Colvin came up with a clever tool rest with a protractor as a guide for grinding HSS metal lathe turning tools.  He shows it in his Sharpening Handbook "Goniostat" section.  I attached one of his photos as a quick look.  He posted on this here on the forum, but I was unable to locate it.

I have several of these brass protractors and have been meaning to make one of these, but alas, I guess I just don't have as much need as I like to think.  I use a lot of carbide insert cutters and have two tools that use HSS inserts that I use for brass and aluminum. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

dusmif

Thank You Rick, very interesting and informative.
Alf

RichColvin

Quote from: dusmif on June 25, 2021, 09:00:58 AM
Hi, is it there a way to sharpen/modify Hss lathe turningb tools on the Tormek please?
Thanks
Alf.

Alf,

The definitive source is Leo J. St. Clair's book from 1952 titled, Design and Use of Cutting Tools. He was working in the industry as it was changing from HSS to carbide, so both are covered well. His expermental data helps validate or disprove many theories. Unfortunately, this book is hard to find.  It took me 3 or 4 yrs before I finally found one on eBay which I immediately snapped up.

I summarized Leo's work on the Sharpening Handbook at this link : https://sharpeninghandbook.info/index-MW.html

I use these approaches often.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

RichColvin

Quote from: dusmif on June 25, 2021, 09:00:58 AM
Thanks
Alf.

Alf,

The definitive source is Leo J. St. Clair's book from 1952 titled, Design and Use of Cutting Tools. He was working in the industry as it was changing from HSS to carbide, so both are covered well. His expermental data helps validate or disprove many theories. Unfortunately, this book is hard to find.  It took me 3 or 4 yrs before I finally found one on eBay which I immediately snapped up.

I summarized Leo's work on the Sharpening Handbook at this link :  https://sharpeninghandbook.info/index-MW.html

I use these approaches often.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

dusmif

Thank You very much Rich for your reply and the link, much appreciated.
Very helpful information.
Alf

Ken S

Alf,

I happened to have several new metal lathe tool bits. I tried to use identical bits (same alloy). I put a bit in my square edge jig set for a 30° bevel. I set a timer and grind for five minutes. Comparing the post grinding bits is a good way to see the difference in how different grinding wheels cut.

The champion is the Norton 3X 46 grit wheel. Tormek makes no comparable coarse wheel.It is not a general purpose wheel and it is not "plug and play". It does remove a lot of steel quickly. The largest diameter is 200 mm. It works perfectly with the T4 and as well as a 250mm wheel worn to 200 mm with the T8.

Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: Ken S on June 26, 2021, 10:07:07 PM
...snip...
The champion is the Norton 3X 46 grit wheel. Tormek makes no comparable coarse wheel.It is not a general purpose wheel and it is not "plug and play". It does remove a lot of steel quickly. The largest diameter is 200 mm. It works perfectly with the T4 and as well as a 250mm wheel worn to 200 mm with the T8.

Ken

"Broken Record Rick", I'll go further than Ken.  I also use this type of "traditional" grindstone on my Tormek, a T8.  I initially used a Norton 3x 64 grit wheel, based on Ken's recommendation.  It worked great and was my go-to grindstone for heavy metal removal.  I have available and set up for use with Tormek jigs, a Viel belt grinder and a Rikon slow speed grinder, but the traditional grindstone preserves the consistency of the wet grinder function and avoidance of any chance of heat damage.  These grindstones can be trued using the truing tool, which I highly recommend.  I use a diamond dressing tool to refresh them, but that is seldom needed, as is truing once the are trued initially.  I have not used these grindstone for HSS, but they should work just fine as they are made for use with HSS at high speeds. 

As Ken mentioned, they are not "plug and play", requiring a custom bushing to adapt the usual 1" arbor hole to the 12mm Tormek shaft and flange washers to support and align the grindstone and to take up the additional space on the shaft for the difference between the Tormek 2" wide wheels and the Norton style grindstones at 1" width. 

All of this has been discussed on a variety of prior posts, by Ken and myself.  I have not heard of others who use these, however. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Rick,

I have reshaped hss turning gouge and skew with the Norton wheel. Also the lathe tool bits I use for testing are at least hss (M2 or above).
Did I mention that a Norton 3X only costs about $50US! That's a lot of firepower for not much money.

Ken

dusmif

WoW, than you guys, most helpful.Much appreciated.
Alf.