News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Using the LA-220 Leather Honing Wheel

Started by dusmif, June 21, 2021, 11:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dusmif

Watching some YouTub videos how to use the LA-220 Leather Honing Wheel, it seems that there are 2 versions how to use it.
Either free hand or with the USB placed horizontal to the LA-220 Leather Honing Wheel, Those with more experience than me, which is the best, easy way to do it please?
Thanks.
Alf.

micha

Hi Alf,

there's even a third way - freehand but with the USB flipped over, using that  just as a handrest. :)
I guess you saw angle controlled honing using a FVB+USB in the YT videos.

Quibbling: The "best and easy" way depends on your demands for the task. If you're after the last bit of sharpness, honing with the same angle (or slightly above, depending on the given steel) is probably mandatory. For your everyday carry axe ;) this may be way overdone.

For knives, I use any honing wheel with the FVB, once it's set up, there's not much fiddling around if the knives you sharpen have the same angle. I feel it's worth the additional effort.

Mike

dusmif

Thank you You. Mike
Alf

John_B

I use the USB,jig and FVB for all knife sharpening. I like the edge it puts on and I think it is sharper than I can consistently do freehand.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

I've read many posts from users with problems with the leather honing wheel rounding over the edge. While I have no high expertise with hand held honing, I have watched Stig demonstrate it. Stig was not born with this skill; he developed it with much focused practice. This is a useful skill which can and should be developed, especially for anyone aspiring to high volume sharpening.

That stated, jig controlling the leather honing wheel in the right conditions is logical. The leather honing honing wheel has an unchanging diameter. I would use it with a kenjig, meaning that no set up changes would be necessary, assuming a consistent bevel angle. Even with changes it is fast enough for high precision, lower volume sharpening.

Both techniques can serve you well. I suggest learning both. Mike, I will investigate your idea; it sounds promising.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: dusmif on June 21, 2021, 11:14:34 AM
Watching some YouTub videos how to use the LA-220 Leather Honing Wheel, it seems that there are 2 versions how to use it.
Either free hand or with the USB placed horizontal to the LA-220 Leather Honing Wheel, Those with more experience than me, which is the best, easy way to do it please?
Thanks.
Alf.

As others stated, no best way... just a preference.  I freehand hone on the leather wheel... the way I learned it is to start at an angle low enough that you know you're below the edge, slowly increase the angle... and you'll hear, see, and feel when you're at the edge.  With a bit of practice, it's easy to do.

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

dusmif