News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

backlash

Started by Ken S, June 07, 2021, 04:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

In a couple of the online classes, Wolfgang Hess has mentioned the importance of having the microadjust end by raising rather than lowering. This is important and worthy of attention. For those who may not understand the reason for this, the concept is to avoid backlash. This is not limited to the Tormek. The same concept applies to feed screws on metal lathes and frog adjustment screws of wood planes.

You may have noticed that when lowering the support bar with the microadjust, it is necessary to tap on the support bar. It is much more controlled to raise the support bar with the microadjust. The pressure of the microadjust on the support bar is more consistent.

Once the desired height is reached, as Wolfgang states, the correct way to tighten the locking screws is to tighten the screw on the sleeve with the microadjust first, followed by the second locking screw. This is good practice and should become a habit. It will help keep your Tormek properly aligned.

Ken

John_B

I think I saw the tap in the latest video. Little things like this are why I watch them a few times.

I hope they do go on all night with these in the 1 hour segments. Really good information.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

John,

I totally agree. I seem to pick up more each time I watch something. Over the years, I have picked up a lot of technical tid bits from individual conversations or emails with Tormek personnel. As much as I appreciated the help, it always seemed more efficient if this information had been shared with a broader audience, as in a video class.

I believe these classes will serve many levels. I suspect most of us will watch the classes once and pick up a few tips. That's fine; I hope they find the tips useful. Some more intrepid folks will watch the classes, at least some of them, twice, and get much more from them. A few of us, like you and me, will delve into the classes determined to squeeze all the juice out of them. We shall not be unrewarded.

Ken

John_B

I have resisted most of the newer aftermarket wheels and add ons for my T-8. The exception being the FVB and software for setting angles. Being able to deburr at 1.5°-2° gives me a superior edge that was more difficult to achieve freehand. I enjoy being shown how to properly do a task using only stock items. I have wanted a Japanese stone for some time but I keep resisting, for no good reason.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease