News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek CW -220 composite stropping wheel.

Started by bobl, May 25, 2021, 08:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobl

I just replaced my trusty standard tormek leather stropping wheel with the ne CW - 220 composite stropping wheel.
I love it. Its so smooth and does a great job after the sharpening on the blackstone. I highly recommend it.
What are your experiences  and any tips on this new stropping wheel.

Ken S

Hi, Bob!

It's good to hear from you again. I trust things are well on your side of the pond.

I think you may be on to something, using the new composite honing wheel with the blackstone. Although the blackstone has been around now for more than ten years, it has been essentially ignored. In my case, my original blackstone (SB-250) had glazing problems. The second one doesn't seem to have those problems.

Throughout my problems with my first stone, two Tormek sharpeners I respect highly helped me keep my faith. Steve Bottorff, my mentor, switched to the blackstone for his everyday wheel with his sharpening business. He liked its better longevity. Magnus from Sweden, still preferred the SG-250 for everyday knife sharpening, but used the SB-250 for damaged knives. While diamond wheels are now getting the headlines, I believe the Tormek community is finally realizing what a useful wheel the SB can be.

I also believe the composite wheel is part of the next advancement in Tormek sharpening. You are having good results using it with knives. Nick Agar is having good results using it with his hss woodturning tools. I am curious, Bob. Have you tried using it dampened with water? It is supposedly designed to work either wet or dry. I haven't used mine much, although, I notice it seems more aggressive when used damp. I like having options. I think it will be particularly useful for those with two Tormeks, one set up with the leather honing wheel and one with the composite wheel.

I will be interested in seeing how honing evolves in the next few years with the Tormek. These are interesting times.

Keep us posted, Bob.

Ken

Alihussein8

Do you guys know if Tormek is considering making a T4 version?

Sharpco

I use it. It works well after edge leading grinding.

But after edge trailing grinding on the belt grinder, it's not good honing solution.

John S

I have a CW-220 wheel and really like it.  It seems to get the edge closer to a mirror edge which impresses people when they receive back their knife. It's quicker too. I say it is an advancement over the messy leather wheel.

I lube the surface with water or alcohol. One day I mistakenly sprayed alcohol but decided to continue anyway.  Now I try one or the other depending how I feel.  Not sure my final product is any better but I like the spread of alcohol on the wheel surface better than water.

John

LarK

Only used the composite wheel a few times but I'm already very impressed. Feels like it is extremely simple to get a good honing with it and I really like it. Did a final polish on a Global knife with a chromium oxide leather wheel after the CW-220 and I was not disappointed. I got a cigarette paper cutting edge with this, sadly I don't have a Bess tester so I don't know how much of a difference the chromox did but I like testing stuff  ;D
Following this thread for more tips and tricks!

Kristian

tgbto

I also like the composite wheel very much. I like the feel and the result, which is almost SJ-like in its shininess. There is a short break-in period during which some kind of lint comes off the wheel. I do not sharpen enough that I will have an idea on durability, and therefore on the return on investment wrt the leather one + compound.

I think it would really shine in the farmer's market type of use : no fuss, paired with either the SG or -maybe better - with a diamond wheel or set thereof: no need to change the water nor the height of the USB.

I do think though that having a FVB is a HUGE plus as far as the end result is concerned.

RichColvin

I love mine.   Especially for turning tools.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

bobl

Hi Ken, all is well as can be this side of the pond sir. I have used the new stropping wheel both wet and dry, but i prefer dry. The blade seems to glide beautifully and smooth  across the  wheel for perfect deburring.sometimes some knives just need a touch up as opposed to a grind/sharpen and this new stropping wheel is perfect for it. I am  over the mood with it.
ive preffered the blackstone for the business i have, most knives are middle of the road rockwell hardness and dont need too fine an edge, blackstone I find quicker and with the new stropping wheel I can make the edge super fine.
All the best Ken.
Stay well sir.

Ken S

Arthur

I use the CW-220 all the time to sharpen knives on my T-4. I always slightly moisten the circle with water. After the CW-220, there is always a leather wheel with chromium oxide. Great results.