News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

sharping 2 Planer blades

Started by dusmif, May 22, 2021, 09:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dusmif

HI, Sharping a set of 2 planer blades, I first start with the stone in coarse condition for fast removal and then as everybody I will make my stone in fine state for the final stage.
Now my question is, if I do both blades first with the coarse and then I will change to fine and do both blades, avoiding I have to change the condition of the stone 4 times.
Will I have any issues if I do this please or I should finish all the process on one blade and then do the same with the other? Thank you
alf.

RickKrung

Alf,

I don't know the answer, this is one I'd be asking Tormek support on. 

Reading the SVH-320 manual, p 6 of the English version, it says to regrade during grinding if the stone grinding effect diminishes.  This suggests that grading has no effect on the stone diameter or angle. 

I am skeptical. 

Rick

Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

dusmif

Thank you Rick, I think I better finish one blade from all operations then I will start again on the second blade to be safe.
Alf.

RickKrung

Alf,

I see this as a dilemma or a paradox.  I would be inclined to grind each blade at the one stone condition, coarse and then change the stone to fine and then finish each.  My reasoning is based on several things:
1) gut feeling,
2) a practice I use when planing strips of bamboo for making bamboo fly rods and
3) my sense that changing the stone condition changes its diameter. 

1) and 3) may be the same.

On 2), constructing a traditional hexagonal bamboo fly rod requires six strips of bamboo planed to equilateral triangles, meaning each side is exactly the same dimension. To do this, I plane all six to a "rough" size a few thousandths of an inch over the desired final dimension. Then setting the planing machine "head" to take those last couple thousandths and plane each strip to their final dimension.  The reason is that I don't want to be changing the head setting between each strip for the final dimension. 

By extension, I see the planer blades the same as I see my bamboo strips.  I would want the stone to be set at its final "dimension" - by the stone grader - and then finish grinding each blade. 

An inherent assumption in both my bamboo planing and the use of the SVH-320 planer blade jig is that changing strips/blades in their respective jigs sets them exactly the same.  I take that to be a valid assumption, for the SVH-320 as the Tormek process for over-long blades is to shift them in the jig and continue grinding.

This seems like something that should be addressed in the Tormek manual.  This is also why I would be contacting Tormek support for a more definitive answer. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

I would lean toward completing each blade coarse/fine before removing the blade from the jig. I would be less concerned with any minute variation from regrading than from resetting the blade.

Ken

dusmif

Thank you Rick, very interesting.
Ken, I just did  that, first I finished the first blade from start to finish, then I did the second blade, just to be safe, until any new information is available. ;)
Thank you all.
Alf.

John Hancock Sr

I am not sure if it really makes any difference so long as each blade has an exactly straight edge. In most planners each blade height is set individually so that it does not matter if one blade is a fraction of a mm different in thickness. Of course there is the issue of an imbalanced cutter head but you would need quite a difference in width for that to make an impact. Obviously where you are using indexed blades such as those in bench top planners the width is far more important but then they use disposable blades.