News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Can't use full wheel width

Started by HolyHellThatsSharp:), May 19, 2021, 02:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolyHellThatsSharp:)

I'm new to all of this, having come from a range of manual methods over the years, none of them within cooee of this Tormek T-3 I recently acquired.   Perhaps I'm using the wrong jig - currently a SE76 Square Edge Jig - but placing a chisel hard up against the left side so that it is square to the jig and the wheel means that I cannot traverse the whole width of the stone, just the left and central sections, because the slide bar just isn't long enough for the slide to continue before it hits the end stop.

This seems to me to be a bad idea, wearing the wheel unevenly.  Is it that I should be using some other jig that positions the chisel such that I can traverse the full width of the stone?

Another, and unrelated, issue is that the chisels are not cutting quite square, and I've tried twiddling the adjust to effective twist the jig out a little until it cuts square, but the slide bar is a beefy chunk of metal and not about to offer much flexibility, so again I'm wondering if there is some special trick with this adjustment?
Thanks!

tgbto

Hi, I don't own a T-3 so it may be just a guess: you seem to be grinding edge-trailing, and I think the horizontal holes for the USB (slide bar) are offset away from the wheel. OI believe the square edge jig is essentially designed to work using the USB in the vertical position, so closer to the wheel, grinding edge leading.

I am not familiar enough with the T3 to know the proper procedure for setting up the USB on it, sorry.

Cheers,

Nick.

HolyHellThatsSharp:)

Being new to this, am I to assume that most people choose to sharpen chisels edge leading?
I've not tried it that way yet.

John_B

Here is a video on the jig's use. Watch it and perhaps you will see what you are doing differently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ07gPtB6pg
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease