News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Cheap and strong magnets in my water trays.

Started by John S, May 08, 2021, 02:52:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

I have been fascinated with magnets all my life. I have flat magnets removed from old hard disk drives so I decided to try putting some neodymium magnets in the water tray of all my Tormeks while I grind.

I submerge them in the water very close to the wheel.  It is amazing how much steel the neo magnets catch by being real close to the grinding wheel and at a narrow point in the water bath where the steel can be collected before it flows back onto the grinding wheel.

While I have no proof using the magnets makes my sharpening any better, I do feel that getting the metal shavings out of the water circulation can only help my end product.  I'll bet that is why the T-8 comes with a magnet now. 

The neodymium magnets are so strong they collect much more metal right in the water than taping them to the side of the water tray ever would.

I have not experienced any rusting of the magnets, but who cares, they are free and plentiful. Interesting is the size of the metal shavings as I look at my course, medium and fine stoned Tormeks.  Sometimes it is difficult to wipe the metal shavings off the magnet, but that just shows how strong neodymium magnets really are.   I just let the magnets air-dry when I am finished for the day.

If you have or know someone who can get you some old computer hard disk drives, take them apart and save the magnets from them.  I found most drives come apart with a #0 or #1 Phillips screw driver or T4 and T5 torx drivers.

Let me know your thoughts please.

John

See Y Not

I thought about taping a piece of magnet to the outside of the water.  However, all the magnets I have were being used for something else.  So I went to HFT and bought 150 lb. Pull Retrieving Magnet for $10.  Let me tell ya, 150 lb. pull is a lot of magnetism!!  :o

150 lb. pull is a major overkill, but it works.  Also, I need it for something else, too!

Ken S

I think John has an interesting idea. While the idea of using a magnet in the water trough predates my first Tormek purchase in 2009, I think John's twist will result in cleaner water, especially when used with an anti corrosion solvent like ACC or Honerite Gold. The "homemade" solutions also predate Tormek's Advanced Water Trough with the built in magnet.

John and I both happen to live in Columbus, Ohio. He recently gave me several of these magnets. I will use one during my next sharpening session and post my thoughts.

Ken

John S

Ken,  I am glad you are open to experimenting with the neodymium magnets. The anti corrosion fluid is optional in my mind but I understand a purist would use some. 

Hard drives are being tossed in the landfill so I encourage people to ask for old or dead drives. You can offer to return the platters if someone feels there is data remaining on them so they can destroy them.

Have fun. John

John S

The 150 lb pull magnet mentioned is OK. It should work. But the lines of magnetism are 90 degrees from optimal.  The hard drive magnets concentrate pull from the flat side and live submerged millimeters from the rotating stone..  This is not a show stopper but just something to know.

John

Artis

Same here, i wrap my ones in cloth tape so i can grab them easy and also easier to clean.

I believe clean water is a must, specially with higher grit.

They work much better than original tormek magnet.

I use similar magnet on worksharp grinder when doing bolsters, so big difference.

John S

Hmmm. The tape seems like a good idea.  I'll give that a try.

J

SharpenADullWitt

I've used mini ziploc  type of bags (ones that came holding little screws with purchases).  I can pull the magnet out of the bag, over the trash and  the metal falls down into it.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

John S

I have bags like that. I will try that too.  Thank you.