News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T-7 with right hand threaded nut on wheel

Started by Oceanrider, April 28, 2021, 05:03:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oceanrider

I have a T-7 and it has a right hand "nut' on the wheel and I'm having issue with it coming loose often.  the newer T-8 I see has a left hand threaded disc.

I think they changed the design for a reason, yes?

Ken S

The left hand thread EZYlock shaft was introduced in January 2010. Prior to that, the T7 had a right hand thread shaft. With the original right hand thread shafts, final tightening was done with a 19mm or 3/4" wrench and a light tap of a hammer. Until recently, this was illustrated in the handbook. The present online handbook edition no longer shows this. Hopefully you still have your original handbook. If not, support (support@tormek.se) can email you scans of those pages.

Ken

Oceanrider

Quote from: Ken S on April 28, 2021, 12:40:31 PM
The left hand thread EZYlock shaft was introduced in January 2010. Prior to that, the T7 had a right hand thread shaft. With the original right hand thread shafts, final tightening was done with a 19mm or 3/4" wrench and a light tap of a hammer. Until recently, this was illustrated in the handbook. The present online handbook edition no longer shows this. Hopefully you still have your original handbook. If not, support (support@tormek.se) can email you scans of those pages.

Ken

Thanks Ken,  I will email them. 

You probably know, what is the best lube for the shaft where it goes through the plastic bearings?

Are there replacement shafts, and where best to buy ?

Ken S

I use a small tube of white lithium grease.

If you are interested in purchasing a replacement shaft, the best way is an MSK-250, available from any Tormek dealer. Which dealer? A brick and mortar local dealer, if possible. You will want to establish a long term relationship with your dealer. I would avoid ebay and Amazon, as prices are frequently inflated.

Part of the Tormek philosophy is "no Tormek left behind". In addition to meaning that parts will fit older models, it also means that the spare parts inventory includes only the latest version. When Tormek introduced EZYlock, it became the only spare shaft available. My suggestion would be to stay with your present shaft unless it is damaged or you are frequently changing grinding wheels. Master your SG-250 before branching out.

Keep us posted.

Ken