News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek Square

Started by Sharpco, April 15, 2021, 11:52:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

I wanted to buy it as soon as I saw it. Where can I buy it?

Stickan

Hi,
It's a product with very limited production and currently not for sale.

Best,
Stig

Sharpco

Quote from: Stickan on April 15, 2021, 08:46:35 PM
Hi,
It's a product with very limited production and currently not for sale.

Best,
Stig

Thank you Stig.

I hope Tormek makes it again.

Ken S

Sharpco,

This seems like an ideal use of a 3D printer for a Tormek accessory. It is a very simple tool, essentially just two rectangular pieces attached at a right angle. designing it with a 3D program should be a fast, easy project.
It is also small. Unlike other 3D projects I have seen, it can be made with smaller printers designed for home use. Being small, it would not take long to print or require much filament. Being plastic, it will not rust or corrode.

I would suggest a higher fill percentage. Once you are satisfied with it, I would make up several. Don't use Tormek's copyrighted logo. (Use your one business name; it's good advertising.)

Ken

Sharpco

Quote from: Ken S on April 16, 2021, 01:36:31 PM
Sharpco,

This seems like an ideal use of a 3D printer for a Tormek accessory. It is a very simple tool, essentially just two rectangular pieces attached at a right angle. designing it with a 3D program should be a fast, easy project.
It is also small. Unlike other 3D projects I have seen, it can be made with smaller printers designed for home use. Being small, it would not take long to print or require much filament. Being plastic, it will not rust or corrode.

I would suggest a higher fill percentage. Once you are satisfied with it, I would make up several. Don't use Tormek's copyrighted logo. (Use your one business name; it's good advertising.)

Ken

Ken.

That logo is key point :)

Rick_B

OK - I'll bite.  What the heck is it used for and why the notches on one side

Rick

Ken S

Rick,

One purpose of the small square is to establish a square (90°) line on the grinding wheel with a pencil of fine point marker. The first time I sharpened a turning skew chisel, I foolishly assumed that the skew angle matched the recommended Tormek setting. I continued grinding, which required a lot of time and work.
Matching a square line on the grinding wheel would have changed reshaping to sharpening.

The square can also be used to check chisels and plane blades.

The notches are used to check bevel angles.

Sharpco, I would not be surprised if Tormek eventually included the square in the product line up.

Ken

Elden

I will bite as well, Rick.

The use of the square as shown, isn't it being assumed that the USB is perpendicular to the side of the grinding wheel?
Elden

WimSpi

Ken S

Wim,

These look very similar. The inside length of the legs is more important for this than the outer length. If you are marking a square line across your grinding wheel, the inner length should be 50mm or slightly longer. The middle size seems the best choice to me.

I like that the base can be detached.I think it might be easier to use with the base removed.

Keep us posted.

Ken

WimSpi

It is not easy to find a square that you can use on a round stone. The easiest way to do this is to lay the stone flat on a table and place a square against the table and the stone. Then you can use any accurate (!) square, to get an exact 90 degree line on the surface of the stone.

capt rich

Square  2 1/2 x 2 1/2 with angles cut on the out side to check angles.

Ken S

Quote from: Sharpco on April 16, 2021, 01:40:33 PM
Quote from: Ken S on April 16, 2021, 01:36:31 PM
Sharpco,

Ken

Ken.

That logo is key point :)

Sharpco, old friend, you may think I am a pagan, however, neither the logo nor the angle slots are important to me. If a square is accurate and (preferably) doesn't rust, I am a happy camper. The Anglemaster has angle slots.

Ken

Sharpco

Quote from: Ken S on June 26, 2021, 10:16:48 PM
Sharpco, old friend, you may think I am a pagan, however, neither the logo nor the angle slots are important to me. If a square is accurate and (preferably) doesn't rust, I am a happy camper. The Anglemaster has angle slots.

Ken

You're right :)

RickKrung

I agree completely that the angle slots are not very important.  They are available on the AngleMaster, but I never use it. 

I also agree that a small square is very handy, but have found a 4" Starrett Combination Square to be the most useful and convenient.  Spendy to use a Starrett, but i have confidence in the accuracy.  It is just steel and cast iron, so can rust, but Im just careful about wiping it off and have not had a problem so far. 

I've found the adjustable function one of the more useful attributes, when working with chisels and plane blades in the square edge jig. 
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.