News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Convex edge with kj-45 and T4

Started by Ken S, June 13, 2023, 04:49:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgbto

I'm still very skeptical about the consistency and overall quality of the edge on a knife that got sharpened that way. Maybe it gives nice results when a Tormek expert uses it, but for occasional sharpeners I'm less than convinced.

micha

I've also been reluctant for a long time, the Fällkniven A1 (very similar to the one in the video) was one of the few knives where I finally gave it a try.
Results, however, are promising. And it worked easier than expected. Not difficult to grind, but takes some patience, so second your skepticism...

Ken S

As "big game hunting" with my knives is presently cutting up an occasional wild squash, the traditional Tormek grind has always sufficed for me. However, I am curious, and plan to try convexing someday.

ken

tgbto

Quote from: micha on June 13, 2023, 02:03:39 PMI've also been reluctant for a long time, the Fällkniven A1 (very similar to the one in the video) was one of the few knives where I finally gave it a try.
Results, however, are promising. And it worked easier than expected. Not difficult to grind, but takes some patience, so second your skepticism...

I'm not saying the knife can't be sharp, it would probably be very sharp after being hollow ground, in the traditional Tormek fashion. What I'm curious about, is what the actual state of the edge after such convexing is. What is the actual edge profile ? Is it consistent along the length of the edge ? Is it really a nice convex profile or more of a two-faceted profile, kind of primary + secondary grinds with close angles ? Because those can easily be ground consistently with either SVMs or KJs.

micha

That's where the 'patience' part comes in. :)

Of course you have to move the jig between the two stops, but it was easier and the edge came off more consistent than I had expected. I'll try to take some photos soon...

tgbto

Thanks, that will be interesting !