News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

OpenAngleTool -- new free and open source sharpening angle calculation web app

Started by freejack, April 07, 2021, 09:49:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freejack

There are quite some sharpening angle calculators available.
Looking at these, I found no really free and open implementation with up to date technology.
So I decided to contribute another one, based on the great work done so far:

https://openangletool.github.io/

OpenAngleTool key features


  • Free Software. Like free beer the app can be used free of charge. Furthermore, it is Open Source and thus free to be developed further by the community. If you like to contribute have a look at the source code at https://github.com/openangletool/openangletool
  • Zero Install web application. Works right away in any browser, desktop or mobile.
  • Optional install to device. Gives you a home screen icon and full offline mode.
  • Supports distance calculation from USB to wheel and from USB to case.
  • Add as many persisted profiles as you like to keep track of different target angles, wheels or machines.
  • On server side nothing more than static file hosting is needed -- so the app can be always (self-)hosted very cost-efficient anywhere. Currently hosted at github pages right beside the source code repo.

I hope this project adds a helpful further option for angle calculation.
Any feedback or contributions are highly welcome.

Dutchman

I prefer the method where the distance between stone and USB is determined. Can you make such a variant like the app from cbwx which is still available at https://connect.calcapp.net/?app=qq0pg0#/?

freejack

The app already calculates both distances. USB to wheel/stone. And addionally USB to case, if offset and case height are given.

RickKrung

He is referring to parameter "hr in the first graphic.

It doesn't entirely appear in the graphic as though it is in line with the machine axis (shaft), but I suspect that is just a visual mis-perception.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

Quote from: freejack on April 07, 2021, 09:49:50 AM
There are quite some sharpening angle calculators available.
Looking at these, I found no really free and open implementation with up to date technology.
So I decided to contribute another one, based on the great work done so far:

https://openangletool.github.io/

OpenAngleTool key features


  • Free Software. Like free beer the app can be used free of charge. Furthermore, it is Open Source and thus free to be developed further by the community. If you like to contribute have a look at the source code at https://github.com/openangletool/openangletool
  • Zero Install web application. Works right away in any browser, desktop or mobile.
  • Optional install to device. Gives you a home screen icon and full offline mode.
  • Supports distance calculation from USB to wheel and from USB to case.
  • Add as many persisted profiles as you like to keep track of different target angles, wheels or machines.
  • On server side nothing more than static file hosting is needed -- so the app can be always (self-)hosted very cost-efficient anywhere. Currently hosted at github pages right beside the source code repo.

I hope this project adds a helpful further option for angle calculation.
Any feedback or contributions are highly welcome.

I tried it out briefly.... but a quick check... looks good!  Just out of curiosity... where/how are profiles stored? (Especially if I don't "install" it?)

Quote from: Dutchman on April 07, 2021, 10:20:20 AM
I prefer the method where the distance between stone and USB is determined. Can you make such a variant like the app from cbwx which is still available at https://connect.calcapp.net/?app=qq0pg0#/?

hr gives that answer. ;) 

Maybe a better naming setup would help... instead of "Wheel Distance", "Support Bar to Wheel" or something similar? 

I'll check it out a bit more when I have the chance. 
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculators:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform (Just point your phone at the QR code)
or, a list of available Calculators

freejack

Quote from: cbwx34 on April 07, 2021, 05:01:56 PM
I tried it out briefly.... but a quick check... looks good!  Just out of curiosity... where/how are profiles stored? (Especially if I don't "install" it?)

Thanks!

Profiles use localStorage API -- so they live in your browser profile, or the app data when installed to home screen:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Web_Storage_API

Dutchman

Quote from: RickKrung on April 07, 2021, 03:30:55 PM
He is referring to parameter "hr in the first graphic.
It doesn't entirely appear in the graphic as though it is in line with the machine axis (shaft), but I suspect that is just a visual mis-perception.
Rick
Thanks. Indeed a mis-perception due to unclear indication.