News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Collar Jigs

Started by tgbto, March 31, 2021, 04:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgbto

I encountered a few jig ideas on this forum. The kenjig/hanjig seemed brilliant and simple, and each time I use them I find them even more so.

There is another category which initially I found appealing, to the point of doing a bit of welding and dremeling and the like : the collar jigs such as the one where wootz adapted a collar around the shaft to prevent lifting, or the pivot collar jig described on https://www.sharpeninghandbook.info/indexJigs.html#PivotJig. I put the latter together and installed it onto my T8. And then I realized that if I used it edge leading, and for whatever reason the blade caught on the wheel, it would be a recipe for disaster : broken knife in any event, and probably bent universal support, shattered jig or blade shards all over the place.

Do you still use such jigs ? Do you only use them edge trailing (on the FVB) ?

Cheers,

Nick.

cbwx34

Quote from: tgbto on March 31, 2021, 04:56:05 PM
I encountered a few jig ideas on this forum. The kenjig/hanjig seemed brilliant and simple, and each time I use them I find them even more so.

There is another category which initially I found appealing, to the point of doing a bit of welding and dremeling and the like : the collar jigs such as the one where wootz adapted a collar around the shaft to prevent lifting, or the pivot collar jig described on https://www.sharpeninghandbook.info/indexJigs.html#PivotJig. I put the latter together and installed it onto my T8. And then I realized that if I used it edge leading, and for whatever reason the blade caught on the wheel, it would be a recipe for disaster : broken knife in any event, and probably bent universal support, shattered jig or blade shards all over the place.

Do you still use such jigs ? Do you only use them edge trailing (on the FVB) ?

Cheers,

Nick.

That was my idea (the "collar pivot jig")... and I use it almost exclusively.  Use it edge leading, and never had an issue.

I suspect that if a knife were to catch... the more likely scenario is that it would just push the USB up... unless you're really cranking down on the locking knobs... that's probably the weakest link.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

tgbto

Thank you for your answer! I'll practice a bit (lot?) more with blades with a pronounced curvature before I dare try it with the jig, but i'll definitely give it a try at some point...