News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New Member seeking advice

Started by Violaman, March 15, 2021, 12:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Violaman

Hi, thanks for accepting me to this Forum!

I'm new to all this so forgive me if my questions are naïve!

I have very recently taken up woodturning, for reference I have the following turning tools all "Robert Sorby" brand.

¾" Skew Chisel
¾" Roughing Gouge
1/8" Parting Tool
3/8" Spindle Gouge
3/8" Bowl Gouge
½" Round Nose Scraper

I was lucky enough to be given a Tormek "Super Grind 1200" with the a 20cm. Water Grinding wheel and a 14.5cm. Honing wheel.

I have the Bar arrangement for holding/resting Jigs along with a flat tool holder, another holder which I think is for plane blades or Knives and a yellow plastic card with different angle settings on it.

I'm assuming I need a stone dressing tool of some sort and I understand the wheel surface can be adjusted by the dressing tool to grind finer or coarser, or is that for a different type of wheel?
The dressing tools on Amazon mostly seem suspiciously cheap.
I'm assuming I'm going to need some sort of Jig/Jigs for the turning tools but I'm very confused as to which are correct for this machine.

I've looked at the following

SVS-50
SVD-186
TTS 100

I'd want to make whatever I get as "future proof" as possible so that I can sharpen other types of turning tools as I acquire them.

Will I also need honing paste?

Sorry for such a long post, I imagine these are very common questions but I'm hoping someone can help!
Many thanks in advance.
Julian Robinson

RickKrung

Welcome to the forum.  You're off to a good start. 

I cannot address anything about turning tools or their sharpening. 

You are correct about needing a dressing tool, which is the Truing Tool, which is the TTS-100.  There is an updated version of it, I think in 2019.  Be sure you get that one.  As far as "grading" the stone from coarse to fine, that is the "Stone Grader", SP-650. 

I would be cautious about buying Tormek stuff from Amazon.  I have found the best source for accessories and parts to be Advanced Machinery.  Great selections and service.  The link above is to the main site.  There are links on that page to grindstones, jigs, accessories and parts.  You should be able find what you want there.  Many woodworking stores, particularly the chain stores, like Woodcraft, carry Tormeks and accessories.  Sharpening Supplies is where I bought my T8 in 2017.  I've bought major items from them since, like the diamond grinding wheels. 

Also, you should register your machine with Tormek.  This will get you access to more information, but also an electronic version of the user manuals, and I believe other manuals and videos.  Your machine is likely no longer under warranty, but that does not preclude registering it. 

An important upgrade for your machine may be the stainless steel shaft and, which will have the "EZ-loc" nut for the grindstone and you may want to upgrade to the new water trough, if that is an appropriate or possible upgrade. 

Do yourself a favor and spend a bunch of time reading historical posts here on the forum.  Very educational and likely every question you may have and many that you haven't thought of yet, have been asked and answered.  I really enjoyed it when I first joined. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Violaman

Rick, many thanks for that and many thanks for replying so quickly!

I'll take a look through the different posts and threads.

I'm still confused about which jigs etc are suitable for my machine and it's not always obvious on various suppliers sites which are and which are not.

I have ordered the clamp so I can attach the bar in a horizontal position to allow me to grind the other way round but beyond that I'm not sure.

The stainless steel shaft sounds good, I can't get the main grinding wheel off the shaft at all yet!
Thank you for the advice.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Julian.

What you need first is knowledge. The best source of knowledge about sharpening and using woodturning tools with a Tormek is this:

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Tormek-Turners-Instruction-Box-P364.aspx

I consider it essential for woodturners who sharpen with a Tormek.

The correct designation for the truing tool is the TT-50. Like Rick, I find it essential and recommentthe redesigned 2019 version.

I also suggest beginning a long term business relationship with an established Tormek dealer whois both knowledgeable and honest. Beware Internet inflated priced.

Be sure to register your Tormek on Tormek's website. Among other things, this allows you to access and download the latest edition of the handbook. I have it on my ipad and consult it frequently. The "mear and potatoes" of the handbook has changed very little over the years.

Email support (support@tormek.se) or (info@tormek.se if you live in the US) before you try to detach your grinding wheel from the shaft.

Keep us posted.

Kem

RichColvin

Julian,
I am a woodturner also.  The ones I recommend you get are:

• SVD-186.  The SVD-186R is a nice upgrade for wood carvers, but not critical for turners.  The SVD-186 is hugely better than the SVD-185.
  • SVS-50, but consider getting a few extra parts from some company like Advanced Machinery.  Buying a 2d part # 2200 (the housing) will allow you to have an SVS-50 setup with the open seat, and effectively a second SVS-50 which is setup with a closed seat.  Not having to swap these back and forth is a real time savings.
  • SVD-110 tool rest is very useful for certain tools, especially the Lacer-style skew chisels and scrapers.
The settings I use for them are all in the Sharpening Handbook.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

RickKrung

I'm glad Ken and Rich have chimed in here.  I was confident they would. 

Quote from: Ken S on March 15, 2021, 04:26:19 PM
...snip...
The correct designation for the truing tool is the TT-50. Like Rick, I find it essential and recommen[d] the redesigned 2019 version.
...snip...

Ke[n]

Absolutely correct.  I must have read the wrong line from the list of accessories I keep on my phone. 

Quote from: RichColvin on March 15, 2021, 05:23:13 PM
...snip...
The settings I use for them are all in the Sharpening Handbook.

Kind regards,Rich

Be sure to check out Rich's handbook at the link above.  Awesome resource. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Violaman

Thanks for all that gents! I'll take a good look at the links etc you have been kind enough to post.

many thanks fore the advice.

Cheers,

Julian Robinson