News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Frontal Vertical Base DIY, partly made of wood

Started by WimSpi, March 15, 2021, 12:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WimSpi

As a new Tormek grinder, I have already learned a lot through this forum and through Knife Grinder and Schleifjunkies.

As a woodworker, I made the 'Frontal Vertical Base ' (FVB) partly out of wood. It worked very good, and I want to share that with you.
See the photos and the sketch.  Here are some remarks about the making:

1) It is important to use wood of dense composition with annual rings (quartersawing), that are close together and that is dry (photo 2). I myself have chosen maple. But beech, or oak can all be used as well.

2) It is important to be able to plane and drill to an accuracy of 0.5mm. For planing you better use a piece of wood twice the length (about 300mm). That planes more accurately. It is also important to plane the wood at right angles (90 degrees) and to plane it at the same thickness.

3) The measurements I used are on the drawing (photo 4). The sizes that are double underlined are important. The other sizes may vary slightly.

4) The measurements must all be plotted from the right angle and also from the center of that right angle.

5) Very important is that the 16mm from the right angle, for the 12mm holes, is completely parallel to this right angle.

6) For drilling, use a pillar drill. I pre-drilled the 12mm holes first with a 2mm drill bit.

7) Because of the water usage with the Tormek, I finished the wood with 3 coats of Danish oil.

8 ) On the front I screwed the Tormek XB-100 Horizontal Base from Tormek (photo 3). It is important that the top of this XB-100 is exactly flush with the top of the wood. I personally chose to place this XB 100, 1mm higher, because I want to measure from the XB-100 and not fromt the wood, if necessary.

I have only named the essential points of interest. You could also have a woodworker plane the wood to exact dimensions.
(28mm x 53mm, length: 300mm).

Good luck in making it and I hope the translation is clear.

micha

Hi Wim,
thanks for sharing! Well done!

May I ask how you fixed the threaded rod within the wood block?

Mike

WimSpi

Hi Mike

The nut I carved into the wood. That does take some skill. You can see it slightly in photo 3, directly to the left of the black rotary screw on the Tormek XB 100.
(Unfortunately, the holes are just not covered by the Tormek XB 100)

You can also take a (slightly recessed) carriage bolt.

(Hm, when I click on the picture it enlarges enormously, how can I fix this?)

micha

Hi Wim,

thanks for pointing me to that detail - now I understand. Also a clever idea.

(In my understanding you can prevent the pictures from expanding so drastically only by uploading smaller ones ;), ie. with smaller dimensions)

Mike

RickKrung

Quote from: micha on March 17, 2021, 07:28:00 PM
...snip...
(In my understanding you can prevent the pictures from expanding so drastically only by uploading smaller ones ;), ie. with smaller dimensions)

Mike

Correct.  I resize all photos to be posted on the web to 640x4XX pixels.  Sometimes 960x or 1024x.  The first size displays adequately on most computer screens, but comes from the really old days when computer screens could only display about that much "data", given resolution of the monitors in those days.  But, I have found that this still works for forums like this one. 

Rick 
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

WimSpi

I have adjusted the pictures to a 1024 x 960.
This is better. 

Thank you very much!