News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Serrated knives finished on Tormek LA-120

Started by Artis, March 04, 2021, 07:32:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artis

Hi guys,

This is how I finish serrated knives. Works much better than expected.

Its freehand, and have access to leather honing wheel as well.

Its just M12 rod with coupler.

Made two versions, 20 and 33cm, to match knife length and depending on which side are serations to clear handle.

Thinking to make adapter so i can remove bigger wheel and have access to tiny wheel for pocket knife serations.

Always nice to use Tormek original accessories.

Dongiganti

However, with the length of the shaft, the pressure on the main bearings of the shaft would be too great for me.

I hope that holds in the long term.

cbwx34

Quote from: Dongiganti on March 10, 2021, 03:02:23 PM
However, with the length of the shaft, the pressure on the main bearings of the shaft would be too great for me.

The weight of the attachment is negligible... and the pressure to hone is (should be) very light.  I don't see the issue.

What am I missing?   ???
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

John_B

I think if you applied very much pressure with this setup you would begin to topple the body of the Tormek.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Artis

Quote from: cbwx34 on March 10, 2021, 03:25:09 PM
Quote from: Dongiganti on March 10, 2021, 03:02:23 PM

The weight of the attachment is negligible... and the pressure to hone is (should be) very light.  I don't see the issue.

What am I missing?   ???

Correct, light to medium pressure is all you need for serrated knives. T8 is not moving even if I press hard and heavy grinding wheel is off, machine is too heavy.
Tormek says you can stack up 2 LA-120 units, so it's almost the same :)
Out of 100 knives we get 1-2 serrated, so it's use is limited, bolt it on when needed.

It does not wobble like felt wheels do, can do serrations with more precision, and small disc is so nice for pocket knife serrations.

Sean Maggi

Quote from: Artis on March 04, 2021, 07:32:35 AM
Hi guys,

This is how I finish serrated knives. Works much better than expected.

Its freehand, and have access to leather honing wheel as well.

Its just M12 rod with coupler.

Made two versions, 20 and 33cm, to match knife length and depending on which side are serations to clear handle.

Very cool idea

Thinking to make adapter so i can remove bigger wheel and have access to tiny wheel for pocket knife serations.

Always nice to use Tormek original accessories.