News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Vertical Bases - are they all the same?

Started by rinabinett, March 10, 2021, 04:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rinabinett

Just wondering are all the vertical front bases made by Schleifjunkies / Knifegrinders / etc.. all the same height on the base? What I am getting at  is whether the software is all the same, or is the Schleifjunkies software based on the height of their base and the Knifegrinder's software the same, or are the bases made the same, such that the software will assume the same height? I haven't received my VFB in the mail yet, but want to look at the different apps to see which one I like the best - although I may only have one choice.

micha

Hi Ron,

welcome to the forum.

Yes, the software is specific, as the measurements differ.
But there are more generic solutions like jvh's TormekCalc, where you can input your own constants.

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=4181.0

Mike

cbwx34

Quote from: rinabinett on March 10, 2021, 04:45:00 PM
Just wondering are all the vertical front bases made by Schleifjunkies / Knifegrinders / etc.. all the same height on the base? What I am getting at  is whether the software is all the same, or is the Schleifjunkies software based on the height of their base and the Knifegrinder's software the same, or are the bases made the same, such that the software will assume the same height? I haven't received my VFB in the mail yet, but want to look at the different apps to see which one I like the best - although I may only have one choice.

I actually think those 2 are the same measurements... but don't have both to compare.  You are correct, if they are not the same, you'll need to use the specific software with the FVB you purchased.

The Calcapp calculator (link in my signature), measures directly to the wheel, and will work with any Front Vertical Base.  Also, TormekCalc2 (that micha mentioned) can be used... it provides both the measurement to the wheel, and also allows you to input your own FVB measurements.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

rinabinett

Thanks to you both! I probably should just get the Schleifjunkies app, but I do like your visual one. It makes it all make sense to me, anyway. I like the Tormekcalc as well, and the ability to keep values stored for different machines and different stones, etc... Thank you all for doing all the work! Could step back and figure it all out, but it's nice that people have done it before me, and perfecting the wheel is largely already done. \

Cheers!

Hannsi1957

Measurements are only nearly the same between KG and mine.
For T8 mine have fix numbers in it for all other machines or FWB u can use my universal software.

Cheers Hanns