News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Budget work station option?

Started by ROC, September 25, 2020, 09:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ROC

I'm sure this isn't for every body.
The Tormek work station is no doubt quality and desirable
But, I just didn't have the $$$ for it.

I was looking at spending more on stones/wheels and jigs than a work station.

With organization and efficiency in mind, I modified this $129 tool chest.

Removing the casters and replacing them with 2x4's with 1/4" felt pads, it gave me a movable, yet stable platform.
The finished height at the top is right at 29", which fits me well.

I also mounted 4 pegs, 2 on either side, to hold my grinding wheels/stones.

As I buy a 2-wheel grinder, more jigs, paper and felt wheels, diamond wheels, etc, I'll just buy another tool chest and mod that to suit
Cool thing is the work stations will be the same height and be able to store my gear and look decent in the shop (my back room of my restaurant)

Again, not for every body. 
It's just an option for a more budget friendly work station.

Cheers.

Ken S

ROC,

Well done. You have designed a very functional work station.

Ken

ps A minor suggestion: You might want to look into either a cafeteria tray or a Tormek Rubber Work Mat to contain the inevitable spillage.

ROC

Thanks for the suggestion.
I did notice the compound dirties the surface as well.

John_B

If you get a cafeteria type tray make sure it is large enough for your RB-180 to rotate freely.
I made a similar base out of an unused microwave stand. Does not have drawers like yours but it works and frees up the workbench.
I used a larger plastic tray from the bottom of a dog crate. It works well.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

ROC,

Your work stand looks flexible. Versatility is a good thing. My needs and wants have changed over the last ten years. I suspect yours will, too. When I started, I sharpened mostly chisels and plane blades. Over the years, knife sharpening has taken up a lot of my time and storage space. I have also taken up woodturning.

Your path will be different. You will be glad of having flexible storage space. Your four grinding wheel hooks will also serve you well.

Enjoy your new work area. Keep us posted about your journey!

Ken

John_B

Quote from: Ken S on September 28, 2020, 10:28:20 PM
ROC,

Your work stand looks flexible. Versatility is a good thing. My needs and wants have changed over the last ten years. I suspect yours will, too. When I started, I sharpened mostly chisels and plane blades. Over the years, knife sharpening has taken up a lot of my time and storage space. I have also taken up woodturning.................

Ken

Ken, how much of your time is taken up trying different things on different Tormeks for questions here?
Sharpen the knife blade
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

John,
Thanks for asking. Too much time. I have been trying to cut back. I am very pleased to see more information coming from Tormek in the online classes. It's the most efficient way to reach a wide audience.
I am also very pleased to have more members carrying the ball.
Ken

WagonHo!

Very nice setup, I like the table top space on the sides for whatever you've got lined up to be worked on. What's the final height?

ROC

Thanks. 

The over-all height of the wood deck Is 29".
Perfect for my height while standing in a 1" thick bar mat.

Jimbo

Excellent Build and informative, Could you please give me the dimensions of the foam inserts used for holding the jigs. I want to make the drawers to suit.

John_B

Quote from: Ken S on September 28, 2020, 11:44:33 PM
John,
Thanks for asking. Too much time. I have been trying to cut back. I am very pleased to see more information coming from Tormek in the online classes. It's the most efficient way to reach a wide audience.
I am also very pleased to have more members carrying the ball.
Ken

A good project for a Tormek intern (if they have them) would be to create a Q&A reference book that references a specific video(s) and time for the answer. With the quantity and number of topics covered it is hard to remember where I saw things. They also present a lot of good information in the Q&A sections.
Sharpen the knife blade
Cut with joy and ease

micha

Quote from: Jimbo on April 19, 2021, 08:47:24 AM
Excellent Build and informative, Could you please give me the dimensions of the foam inserts used for holding the jigs. I want to make the drawers to suit.
Hi Jim,
welcome to the forum.

The foam inserts are 380x285x80mm or 15"x11.2"x3.125".

Mike

Ken S

Jimbo,
I would build the stand to include the possibility of fitting the Tormek Rubber Work Mat on the top. This could be added later or even in conjunction with an added plywood top. Hereis a link with dimensions:

https://www.tormek.com/usa/en/accessories/other-accessories/rm-533-rubber-work-mat/

Ken