News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Diamond wheel run in period, spills and DIY FVB

Started by Artis, February 06, 2021, 12:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artis

Hi guys,

Did ~6 knives on DC/DF/DE wheels as run in and noticed that water trough still contained shiny diamonds when I did last two knives.

As per instructions - no pressure, only weight of the blade. (Took me ~10 passes on coarse wheel to get convex worksharp 18dps edge down to 15dps on German mid range steel knife)

Anyone else noticed that ? Is it okay ?

I think coarse wheel is one loosing the most, as it feels now more like fine wheel when it was new.
It still has factory edge on front which is day and night compared to the top.

Out of 250ml of acc water, I lost probably half during long chefs knife sharpening.
Made this little device which fits snugly between FVB and handle and easily can be removed to pour water back in trough.
This fixed water spillage to only few drops when I swap wheels ;)

Also made my own FVB out of 50x25x3mm aluminum.
I did offset it by 17mm so it's in the same plane as vertical which brings it perfectly in the middle for both wheels.

cbwx34

Quote from: Artis on February 06, 2021, 12:32:50 AM
Hi guys,

Did ~6 knives on DC/DF/DE wheels as run in and noticed that water trough still contained shiny diamonds when I did last two knives.

As per instructions - no pressure, only weight of the blade. (Took me ~10 passes on coarse wheel to get convex worksharp 18dps edge down to 15dps on German mid range steel knife)

Anyone else noticed that ? Is it okay ?

I think coarse wheel is one loosing the most, as it feels now more like fine wheel when it was new.
It still has factory edge on front which is day and night compared to the top.

Maybe OK... try cleaning it.  Believe it or not, diamond doesn't work as well on "average" steels... it can actually clog it up.

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)