News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Different specs for knife jigs

Started by Artis, January 30, 2021, 12:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artis

Hi guys,

Anyone noticed different clearances for different versions of SVM45 ?

Bought T8 few days ago with 2 x svm45 and one svm140

First I noticed that 140 is much larger but it's much lighter.
svm45 is 300g+ while svm140 is 200g+.

I checked depth from handle top to static clamp.

For svm140 it was 7.35mm
For svm45 it was 7.35 and 7.05

I triple checked and got same results. I checked if handle was bent, but did not look like.

Then I noticed small numbers stamped on each jig part.

Jig with 7.05mm depth: static part number is 1, other part is 4
Jig with 7.35mm depth: static part number is 2, other part is 3

Anyone else noticed that ?

Which is not a bad thing, as perfect knife for first jig will be 2.1mm thick and 2.7mm for other jig.
More choices when I'll need to shim (layers of tape) to get blade more centered in the jig.

Ken S

Very good post, Artis. I sent an email to Stig at Tormek, Inc. We should know more by next week.
I will wait until then to offer any comments.

Ken

Ken S

Artis, this is the reply from Stig:

"Last change I am aware of was about 5 years ago. SVM-140 is made of aluminium which also the SVM-45 was made until we redesign the SVM-45 and made it of Zink. We also redesigned it so it could do more narrow knives."

I actually have four SVM-45 jigs. Two are the longer pre 2002 design with a substantially longer adjustment thread. One is 2009 vintage, which I bought with my T7. The fourth is just a couple years old and is the new zinc design.
(I like the newer zinc products; they feel more substantial.)

I can't explain the difference in optimal blade thicknesses between the two jigs. However, assuming you are correct, having the two would cover "optimum thickness" for a lot of knives, potentially a real advantage!

I think there is much potential in centering blades with varying thicknesses of tape. Please keep us posted.

Ken