News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Angles and process for T8, felt wheel

Started by sharpening_weasel, January 15, 2021, 01:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharpening_weasel

Hello everybody- me again. As many of you suggested, I've read back through the forums looking for anything about trailing edge honing techniques, and have learned a ton. And yes, I probably have too much free time on my hands... there's a lot of information out there. I still have some questions, however.
   This is what I%u2019ve gleaned thus far. It seems the minimum wallet hurty process that yields better results then my current setup would be:

SG250 @220  SG250 @1000 SJ250 @4000 the KG rock hard felt wheel with the FVB & software using controlled angle honing with the 1u diamond spray.
   What a mouthful. In regards to the felt wheel- due to the special qualities of the felt, I think the recommended honing angle is one to one and a half degrees steeper then normal, which removes the burr %u201Cat the source.%u201D I could also be entirely incorrect about all of this.
There are so many different recommendations and techniques bouncing around in my overstuffed brain that I wanted to run this by the experts before taking the plunge.

One last note- I keep seeing japanese water stones made by "sun tiger japan." Anybody have any experience with these?

Does this make sense thus far? Any glaringly obvious mistakes/mixups?

PS
The sharpening book just came in literally minutes ago! Holy cow it's amazing. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction everybody.

RickKrung

Quote from: sharpening_by_jesse on January 15, 2021, 01:53:45 AM
...snip...
   SG250 @220  SG250 @1000 SJ250 @4000 the KG rock hard felt wheel with the FVB & software using controlled angle honing with the 1u diamond spray.

...snip...recommended honing angle is one to one and a half degrees steeper then normal, ...snip...

PS
The sharpening book just came in literally minutes ago! Holy cow it's amazing. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction everybody.

Since the above is just about exactly the process and stones/steps I use, naturally I'm going to agree... ::).  However, as I'm sure you discovered in your reading, there are many combinations that also work equally or better.  I also use the DC>DF>DE>SJ>felt

The one comment I'll make is that the honing angle depends on which stage/medium you are on and the type of steel in the blade.  1.5° is in the middle of the angle range KG recommends for run-of-the mill (not so hard) steels - for the final step on the felt wheel.  Angle on the SJ wheel is the same as the sharpening angle.  This all described in KG's deburring book

What "sharpening book" are you referring to?  KG's deburring book?  If so, you'll read about the honing process.  If other, please inform us which. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

sharpening_weasel

Thank you Rick!

Yes, I'm reading the KG edge de-burring book. Thanks for the info- from the reading and the extensive SEM images in the KB book, it seems the diamond wheel is the better method for grinding carbides as opposed to the steel matrix itself. Unfortunately the diamond process above is a little out of my current budget.