News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Modifying the SVM45 Tormek Knife Jig

Started by M7 MetaWorks, February 17, 2021, 02:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M7 MetaWorks

Hello guys, I am new to the forum. I recently purchased m Tormek T8 and was having a bit of trouble with the SVM45 jig. I did some research on it which led me here. I found a thread regarding a mod made to the jig, I don't recall who originally came up with this mod? (Thank you by the way!!) Anyway I went ahead and made the modification myself and YouTubed it. Sorry if this was already done but I never found a video showing how to do this mod so I did one. If this is not the right place for this then of course feel free to delete it or move it as the moderators see fit. Here is a link to the video for anyone interested in making this mod:

https://youtu.be/nWOJxqN2yxo

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Chris.

We have some innovative members on this forum. Several variations of the knife jig have been developed by forum members. As I recall, the Knife Grinders jig you based yours on was originally shown by forum member, Rick Kruger before being marketed by KG. Forum member, Herman, developed a very useful small platform. There are also several angle setting programs and setting tools.

Welcome to a creative group!

Ken

RickKrung

Yes, that was me that put the pins on the pivot collar.  It was a collective ferment, however, as others had come up with a couple precursor steps.  I made about 40 of the "Pin Pivot Collar" and sold most, as a way to cover costs - the collars themselves were expensive.  Knife Grinders asked permission to make and sell them, which I gave willingly.  Others have copied it and are selling without regard.  I think the triangular pivot jig is the easiest for a user to make themselves. 

Innovation ran thick and wide there for a long while.  Seems pretty thin lately. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

M7 MetaWorks

Fantastic to hear from you men! Thanks so much for all the knowledge and innovation that you guys have given us knife sharpeners!
Ken. I had seen the platform jig and I really think I'll be making that one in the future as I can see some advantages that it would have. I use something similar with my 2x72 belt grinder.

RichColvin

Chris,

I've tried to catalog the more popular ideas here :  https://sharpeninghandbook.info/indexJigs.html

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Sean Maggi

Quote from: M7 MetaWorks on February 17, 2021, 02:27:58 PM
Hello guys, I am new to the forum. I recently purchased m Tormek T8 and was having a bit of trouble with the SVM45 jig. I did some research on it which led me here. I found a thread regarding a mod made to the jig, I don't recall who originally came up with this mod? (Thank you by the way!!) Anyway I went ahead and made the modification myself and YouTubed it. Sorry if this was already done but I never found a video showing how to do this mod so I did one. If this is not the right place for this then of course feel free to delete it or move it as the moderators see fit. Here is a link to the video for anyone interested in making this mod:

https://youtu.be/nWOJxqN2yxo

Great Video. Enjoyed watching it. Wish i had the means to make something like that. Subbed to your channel.