News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

One Tormek Running Two Wheels (Both in Water)

Started by BeSharp, January 06, 2021, 02:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeSharp

SUMMARY

A method of running one Tormek with two grinding wheels with both in water saves money, space, time, and electricity. This setup ideally uses wheels that maintain the same diameter, such as Tormek's diamond wheels, or other constant-diameter wheels (diamond or CBN). In fact, not having to buy a second Tormek almost pays for two Tormek diamond wheels!

BeSharp

MATERIALS LIST

- Another water trough
- Full size stainless steel restaurant pan (20" x 12" x 4" high)
- 4 hockey pucks (how can you tell I'm Canadian, eh?)
- An old Tormek honing wheel (or a Tormek CW-220 composite honing wheel)

BeSharp

BACKGROUND

YouTube has videos of one Tormek running two grinding wheels. Some claim to have done so for years with no ill effect. However, this could void your Tormek warranty. But my machines are past warranty; I clean and lube the shafts and bearings monthly, and I take off the wheels daily. Plus, diamond and CBN wheels must be used with much less pressure. This also lessens the stress on such setups.

NOTE: Both my Tormeks are T7s. I have not yet tried this with my T-8.

BeSharp

WHEEL SETUP

My setup has Tormek #1 with 80 grit (left) and 160 grit (right) wheels. Tormek #2 has 400 grit (left) and 1000 grit (right) wheels.

You could have, say, Tormek's 360/1200 diamond wheels on one machine.

Someone brilliantly suggested using the extension shaft from the Tormek LA-120 profile leather wheel kit. There are also aftermarket shafts; some have tighter tolerances than others.

Mounting this way has the wheels 22cm apart (open space). Despite both wheels being the same diameter, this is far enough apart to grind a 10" chef knife.

However, grinding with the right wheel drips water onto the rubber drive wheel and causes slipping. The solution is installing an old honing wheel (as the water will eventually ruin any leather). Or use Tormek's new CW-220 composite honing wheel, which seems water-resistant.

While I can spray water on the 1000 CBN using a spray bottle, the 160 CBN really should be in water, as this reduces noise and airborne metal dust.

BeSharp

STAINLESS STEEL PAN

I started by using disposable aluminum roasting pans. However, I soon realized I needed something sturdier, longer, and of a certain height.

My solution is stainless steel restaurant pans. Common in North America (not sure about the rest of the world?), they come in "full size", 2/3 size, 1/2 size, 1/3 size, 1/4 size, and 1/6 size. They also come in three different height: 2.5", 4" and 6" high.

I am using the full size pans  (20" x 12" x 4" high). It will not rust because it's stainless steel. The price is reasonable because they're so common.

LEFT WHEEL

The full size pan is wide enough (20") for pulling off the left water trough and resting it on the pan. This is useful when you have to lift the whole machine up to access the right water trough.

BeSharp

RIGHT WHEEL

Put four hockey pucks on the right pan end as per the picture - 2 stacks, each 2 pucks high.
Place the right side water trough on top. Move it right so the 4" high pan lip butts against the water trough.
Mount the used honing wheel, then the right grinding wheel.
Lower the Tormek over the the right trough.
Fill right trough with water. The water's weight, and the pucks' weight (and non-skid surfaces) will hold the tray in place. 
Make sure the trough is not rubbing the wheel or the old honing wheel.

BeSharp

TROUGH HEIGHT COMPARISON

On my T7, there is 129cm from the left trough's bottom to the shaft's centreline.

With 4 hockey pucks, there is 146cm from the right trough's bottom to the shaft's centreline.

Sp the right trough (shimmed with 4 hockey pucks) is about 17 cm lower than the left (factory) side. However, it works fine or me.

BeSharp

WHY 4" HIGH PAN

My T7's have speed increasers - they run at 159 rpm. (European machines run slower since they are on 50 Hz power - North America is on 60 Hz, so our machines run 60/50, or 20% faster). Water splashes around with lower grit wheels. The 4" high pan is handy for sliding thin plastic pieces in the rear to act as backsplashes.

Note: using speed increasers may void your Tormek warranty. But, ooh boy, is grinding fast with 80 and 160 grit wheels!

BeSharp

DOUBLE-SIDED UNIVERSAL SUPPORT

Two wheels works well with Tormek's USB-430 extended universal support bar. Just loosen it, flip it around, and tighten it down. No need to adjust the height setting for the second wheel (assuming both are the same diameter, of course).

However, a double-sided USB works even better. Then there is no need to loosen, flip around, and tighten.

CONCLUSION

Such a setup with both wheels in water baths can save money, space, time, and electricity.

Ken S

van

Quote from: BeSharp on January 06, 2021, 02:44:19 AM
TROUGH HEIGHT COMPARISON

On my T7, there is 129cm from the left trough's bottom to the shaft's centreline.

With 4 hockey pucks, there is 146cm from the right trough's bottom to the shaft's centreline.

Sp the right trough (shimmed with 4 hockey pucks) is about 17 cm lower than the left (factory) side. However, it works fine or me.
Sorry, some clarification to a layman:
Is the trough you use on the right always T7?
To cancel the difference in height between the two troughs, couldn't you use a third hochey disc or one divided into two parts?
Thanks
Kindly yours

BeSharp

Hockey pucks are 25mm thick, so stacking a third one would make the right trough too high.

I suppose you can divide a puck into two but I didn't bother to do so. As I said, it works fine for me.

It's a T7 so both are T7 troughs.

WagonHo!

Quote from: BeSharp on January 06, 2021, 02:50:04 AM
DOUBLE-SIDED UNIVERSAL SUPPORT

Two wheels works well with Tormek's USB-430 extended universal support bar. Just loosen it, flip it around, and tighten it down. No need to adjust the height setting for the second wheel (assuming both are the same diameter, of course).

However, a double-sided USB works even better. Then there is no need to loosen, flip around, and tighten.

Great thread, what is the part # for the double sided universal support and where did get it?
Thanks

CONCLUSION

Such a setup with both wheels in water baths can save money, space, time, and electricity.

Sunrey

Wonderful setup.  Being able to zip across to the finer grit with little or no adjustment is brilliant. 
I do less precise sharpening with a little guesswork, using a SG and SJ combo:  rough grind on the SG, flip the USB and raise the adjustment dial about a turn to compensate for the difference in stone diameter.
This has killed my ability to use the leather honing wheel, which I miss using for the purpose of reviving an old edge before resigning to putting it back to the stones in a jig.
I used the LA-120 shaft for the second stone.  I still have problems with eccentricity from the mating surfaces somewhere.  Teflon tape on the threads helped reduce it a lot.
I cover the drive wheel and not-stainless motor shaft with a cowl made from a round aluminum baking tin--it's not pretty, but is deeper than the honing wheel and extends over the Tormek body some to act as a roof.
I'd like to know what other aftermarket shafts options there are.