News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Trailing edge honing on SJ-250, felt wheels, angles???

Started by sharpening_weasel, January 02, 2021, 07:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharpening_weasel

Hello everybody- me again. As many of you suggested, I%u2019ve read back through the forums looking for anything about trailing edge honing techniques, and have learned a ton. And yes, I probably have too much free time on my hands... there%u2019s a lot of information out there. I still have some questions, however.
   This is what I%u2019ve gleaned thus far. It seems the minimum wallet hurty process that yields better results then my current setup would be:

SG200 @220 %u2014> SG200 @1000 %u2014> SJ250 @4000 %u2014> the KG rock hard felt wheel with the FVB & software using controlled angle honing with the 1u diamond spray.
   What a mouthful. In regards to the felt wheel- due to the special qualities of the felt, I think the recommended honing angle is one to one and a half degrees steeper then normal, which removes the burr %u201Cat the source.%u201D I could also be entirely incorrect about all of this.
There are so many different recommendations and techniques bouncing around in my overstuffed brain that I wanted to run this by the experts before taking the plunge.

I%u2019d probably still use the sg200 on the T4 I have now for a bit before getting the SG250, if at all. I find that most of the time, the 220 grit isn%u2019t even necessary. So I%u2019d essentially be using the t4 for rougher grinding up to 1k, and then the t8 for 4k and the felt wheel.

One last note- I keep seeing japanese water stones made by "sun tiger japan." Anybody have any experience with these?

Does this make sense thus far? Any glaringly obvious mistakes/mixups?

John_B

My opinion, I would practice and become proficient with the standard SG stone and leather wheel before investing further in a Japanese stone and the felt wheel. I would get the FVB and one of the computer programs. If you are interested in improving your throughput I would get another USB, preferably the US-430. I have invested in a second leather wheel and use 1ยต diamond spray. I have been very pleased with the few knives I have done using the second wheel as a last step.

With the standard stone and leather wheel you can achieve s very high level of sharpness in the BESS sub 100 range. When commercial knives out of the box are in the 250-300 range I have yet to find a customer that is not astounded with the knives I return to them.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

sharpening_weasel