News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Reason #22 to get the DBS-22

Started by RichColvin, January 01, 2021, 11:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichColvin

Today I had to re-drill some screw holes on a drive pulley.  They were not deep enough, and the flat head screws projected above the surface. Using the DBS-22, I was able to quickly re-grind a ½" drill bit to a 90° point angle, and it worked like a champ!

Second item of note:  the diamond grinding wheels made this a whole lot easier!  I used the DC-250 to re-shape the bit, using it to cut the primary and secondary facets.  I was then able to swap the DC-250 out and use the DF-250 to touch up the primary facet and get a really great looking grind!The whole process took about 15 minutes, and that is because I took it really slowly (no need to rush).  And that was a whole lot faster than ordering a new drill bit.  I was back to woodworking fast.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

RickKrung

Very interesting, Rich.  I have a number of countersinks that I've been wondering if they could be sharpened on a Tormek.  Hadn't considered converting a drill to that use.  I think I'd want to gin up a motorized version of your gouge jig rotating setup that you used on pizza slicer blades.  Or were those paper cutter blades?  I have other gearmotors like the one I used on my motorized truing tool.  I've been wanting to come up with a good setup for that kind of sharpening. 

I am frankly surprised the the DC wheel was up to the task of removing that much material so quickly.  Also, I thought you didn't care for the diamond wheels and returned them to Ken after trying them out, or something.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

RichColvin

Rick,

As for the diamond wheels, I have come to see the light.  They are quite the investment, but they are much faster, and being able to swap the stone out without having to adjust the USB is quite nice.

But I must say that, if funds are limited, the traditional grindstones will certainly do the job.  I used the SB grindstone  for years to sharpen drill bits.  It worked marvelously.  The diamond wheels are just faster.

I did consider putting the final touch on the SJ grindstone as it is super nice.  And, I do that when sharpening the bit for cutting into tricky woods like burls for pen blanks.  Really helps reduce blow-out.

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

RickKrung

Quote from: RichColvin on January 02, 2021, 06:18:59 PM
...snip...
I did consider putting the final touch on the SJ grindstone as it is super nice.  And, I do that when sharpening the bit for cutting into tricky woods like burls for pen blanks.  Really helps reduce blow-out.

Rich

I haven't tried using the SJ stone on drill bits yet, but have wanted to for quite a while.  One of the things that drove me nuts about the other drill grinding tools was the crappy finish they left.  I looked at my index sets and other loose drills that have a very fine, smooth, flat grind finish and knew I needed to achieve this.  The DE stone has done a very good job, but it could still be better and I know how much nicer knife bevels are when the SJ is used. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.