News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SJ-250 and felt wheel for professional sharpening service?

Started by sharpening_weasel, January 01, 2021, 04:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Best process?

SG-250 @220 to 1000, honing wheel with tormek compound
4 (40%)
SG-250 @ 220 to 1000, rock hard felt wheel with 1 micron diamond
3 (30%)
SG-250 @220-1k, SJ-250, honing wheel with tormek compound
1 (10%)
SG-250 @220-1k, SJ-250, honing wheel with 1 micron diamond
0 (0%)
SG-250 @220-1k, SJ-250, rock hard felt wheel with 1 micron diamond
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

sharpening_weasel

Hello all!

Long time forum lurker and professional sharpener here. I%u2019ve been running a moderate to high traffic sharpening business for the last year and a half or so, using the t4 and the standard SG-200 stone. I sharpen scissors, plane blades, chisels, and turning tools, but most of my business comes from local family's chef knives- not super high quality, but high volume and returning customers. I recently got an opening with a high quality catering business, and was realizing that my sharpening game needed to be upped.
A little background- I love the strop and honing compound for most woodcarving edge tools- I find the microscopic rounding and polishing to be extremely beneficial to longevity and smoothness of finish. However, when sharpening kitchen knives, the microscopic smoothing and rounding over caused by the strop can be detrimental. In my experience, you need flat or concave mirror polished surfaces for a supremely efficient edge. My current technique is to use the fine side of the sg200 on the t4 for sharpening, then take 1 verrrry light stroke on either side of the blade to remove the burr. This leaves a relatively decent, slightly sawtoothed edge, perfect for slicing vegetables and cutting meat. My ideal edge would be %u201Ctoothy polished,%u201D as it would last longer then the standard 1k grit edge but still slice through fibers with ease.
   Back to the question. For the most part, the t4 has served me well. Occasionally I have to take a break due to the duty cycle, and I find the smaller size impedes sharpening of larger turning tools, but on the whole, it%u2019s been decent. The price of the SJ-200 is almost the difference between the cost of the t4 and the stripped version of the t8. I%u2019d like to upgrade to a t8, but I%u2019m not sure about the stones.
      Should I get the SJ-250 in addition to the standard? I%u2019ve read some criticisms about the 2j-250 being too soft, catching knives and taking chunks out of a $$260 stone. Not ideal. In addition, with the volume of work I do, I worry about longevity. In a year I%u2019ve gone through the normal 2G200 and started on the next. Would the sj necessitate an intermediate stone? Or would the standard sg250 at maximum polish still work?
      Alternatively, I%u2019ve seen some interesting results with rock hard felt/paper. Any and all recommendations are welcome. 

May you be the sharpest knife in the drawer, and not a dull tool.  ;D

jeffs55

Surely you know that anyone taking "chunks" out of the SJ250 is sharpening into the stone as opposed to with the stone. I don't see why you would need to go with it anyway. The standard SG 250 will do a more than adequate job of sharpening. Its larger radius may even preclude using the side of the stone for you. It may not win a "Bess" test but the average Joe will never know. I have no experience with either diamond or CBN wheels. As for buying a stripped down T8, I think you should look carefully at one with a stone and truing tool or even more included. Package deals are often/usually more cost effective.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

sharpening_weasel

Thank you Jeff-

Ah, that makes sense. Sharpening direction would be crucial. Agreed- the sg200 is definitely nice for standard sharpening. That's the thing- anybody can do standard sharpening, I'd like to be the above and beyond person who they go to for supreme sharpness and ease of use. I think either the SJ250 or the xf diamond wheel can do that. These people are not looking for the "average joe" sharpening. Thank you for the suggestion about the package deal- do you think it would be worthwhile to get duplicates of the turning tool? I already have one from the t4, which is why I was looking at the stripped version. I'm in touch from Wolfgang from advanced machinery- an excellent human who is very reasonable with regards to the stripped t8 pricing.

cbwx34

If you're running a business... I'd put the money towards a T-8. 

p.s.  You can keep the T-4... when the stone gets too small on the T-8, you can move it to the T-4 and get more use out of it.

That's my vote.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

sharpening_weasel

cbwx34

The Tormek Diamond Wheel is 1200g not 12,000... and leaves a finish around the same as the SG graded "fine".
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

sharpening_weasel

ABall

Not an expert here but I would say get the SJ and a bare T8, its Christmas!

Toothy and shiny is something Ive been exploring in other threads over the last couple of days. To be honest if your totally removing the burr with the leather honing wheel which according to Vadim you cant do and your customers are happy with the results then giving them the shiny finish is only going to impress them more and shouldn't make your knives perform any less. I think it will give you the extra mile it sounds like your looking for. The only thing to take into consideration is running costs, maybe you could polish one knife for free and let them decide if they want to pay slightly more for the added running cost to your business. I have used mine a fair bit and its still in perfect condition polishing into the edge with no probs but it had dropped a few mm because it needs regular cleaning, I have never trued this one.

Good luck, I am certain there will be way more informed replies.

Alan

jeffs55

"That's the thing- anybody can do standard sharpening, I'd like to be the above and beyond person who they go to for supreme sharpness and ease of use." There was/is  a person on this forum that said they only used the SG 250 graded coarse in their business.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

RickKrung

Quote from: jeffs55 on January 01, 2021, 04:29:38 PM
Surely you know that anyone taking "chunks" out of the SJ250 is sharpening into the stone as opposed to with the stone. I don't see why you would need to go with it anyway. ...snip...

I take a little bit of issue with the blanket statement about not grinding into the SJ stone.  I've been doing just that for 100% of my SJ use over 2 1/2 years without ever taking a chunk out of it, and that is even after severly damaging it in a fall and putting huge cracks in it (that have closed up) and sustains truiing without issue.  I say that anyone taking chunks out is using too much pressure.  I think all SJ stones should have radiuses put on both edges to reduce chip-out as the truing tool exits (and yes, I know some say "Do Not Exit" the truing tool or else you willl chip it out, but I do it all the time without issue.  It is a matter of speed).

Quote from: cbwx34 on January 01, 2021, 04:56:13 PM
If you're running a business... I'd put the money towards a T-8. 

p.s.  You can keep the T-4... when the stone gets too small on the T-8, you can move it to the T-4 and get more use out of it.

That's my vote.

I'm with CB here.  Sounds like you need to invest in a T8 for several reasons and doesn't even need to be justified by it being Christmas. 

Quote from: cbwx34 on January 01, 2021, 05:01:53 PM
The Tormek Diamond Wheel is 1200g not 12,000... and leaves a finish around the same as the SG graded "fine".

Definitely, the Tormek Extra Fine Diamond wheel (DE-250) is around 1200 grit whereas the Tormek SJ stone is around 4,000 grit and are for totally different functions.  In my process, the DE is the final grinding step and the SJ is the first deburring/polishing step.  The DE actually grinds whereas the SJ polishes much more than it grinds. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

RickKrung

Quote from: jeffs55 on January 01, 2021, 05:53:25 PM
"That's the thing- anybody can do standard sharpening, I'd like to be the above and beyond person who they go to for supreme sharpness and ease of use." There was/is  a person on this forum that said they only used the SG 250 graded coarse in their business.

Not sure who that was/is, but I only use the SG graded fine (using a 1000 grit diamond plate for grading), along with the Blackstone (SB) (without grading, only truing) when I use these matrix stones.  SB provides the coarse step, SG the fine step, followed by either honing on the leather wheel or SJ/felt w/1µ diamond paste. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

ABall

Quote from: jeffs55 on January 01, 2021, 05:53:25 PM

There is also another guy here who runs a business and his customers prefer the finish of the SJ, forget who, he may join in but he admits the edge does not hold as long, not sure if he has tried felt though to de root....

Ken S

A thought on having both a T8 and a T4: I recently purchased a ten inch rock hard felt wheel. With the water trough removed, it fits perfectly in my T4. The 120 RPM motor of the T4 is slightly faster than the 100 RPM motor of the T8.
The T4 is also lighter and more compact; it is a useful complement with the T8, especially since you already have the T4.

Think creatively; the Tormek is a very versatile machine in skilled hands.

Ken

RichColvin

Quote from: RickKrung on January 01, 2021, 06:02:55 PM
Not sure who that was/is, but I only use the SG graded fine (using a 1000 grit diamond plate for grading), along with the Blackstone (SB) (without grading, only truing) when I use these matrix stones.  SB provides the coarse step, SG the fine step, followed by either honing on the leather wheel or SJ/felt w/1µ diamond paste. 

Rick

Rick, do you use a process of:

SB, then
      SG (graded to 1,000 grit), then
      SJ (or felt) ?

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

BradGE

Hi Jesse,

My $0.02

-as others have said, I would definitely go for the T8 if for no other reason than run time.

-if I were in your shoes, to add 'something extra' for your customers, my first investment would be a frontal support mount (several options) with the associated software.  That way you can get into controlled-angle honing which in my opinion will give a performance boost to the longevity of the edges you create.

-in a straight choice between SJ and the DE wheel I would go for SJ.  I think a well-graded SG will give you a result close to the DE anyways, but the SJ will bring new options and opportunities for what you can do...

All the best,

Brad