News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Which cbn wheels to buy?

Started by ABall, December 25, 2020, 09:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichColvin

Please accept my apology if I offended anyone.  I've seen other forums have topics go in bad directions, and I really appreciate how Ken helps this one stay on the top of sharpening using Tormek products. 

I agree that this is a loose term, especially as there are so many items where Tormek doesn't offer solutions (e.g., the calculators offered by a few).  And I also love the research by those like Dr. Vadim Kraichuk at KnifeGrinders. Innovation should be encouraged.

But in all cases, I mostly feel that the community of sharing is key to us getting better.  As a favorite podcast notes, "None of us is as smart as all of us."

So if I offended, please forgive me.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Josu V

Returning to the original theme, i´m going to explain my opinion.

Using any of the wheels, is highly recomended to increase the grit progresively.
This is the way to minimize the process time and the way to not overworked the higher grit wheels.
A very high jump between wheel grits make that the next wheel must work very long time, whith logical wear and time of work increase.

Tormek offers three wheels logicaly staggered and I think that this offer is a good reference for use in any kind of wheels.

Regards
Abusus non tollit usum

ABall

Thanks for every ones input including you Rich,  ;)
I just pulled the trigger on the 400 and 160 CBN plus a speed up adaptor. I will either buy another SG or the 1000 cbn at some point, I am going to have to be very careful with these wheels and as you say Ken I will carry on using the SG until I can master the technique, I have trouble lifting long blades while keeping the Jig square to prevent pivoting. It also seems to create tram lines so I have a way to go....

Alan.

Ken S

Alan,
Practice and experience will help you fine tune your sharpening. I think you will be pleased with your two new CBN wheels. The 160 grit wheel will add some octane for your heavier grinding. You will have grinding speed which is closer to a higher speed dry grinder with all the benefits of wet grinding.

I recently purchased a 400 grit CBN wheel. It is a nice grit size for general knife sharpening. I have a set of Tormek diamond wheels; however, I want to be familiar with both choices. Used on a Tormek, both choices are good.

Enjoy your new wheels.

Ken

ABall

Ken S

You're welcome, Alan. Keep us posted.

Ken

ABall

I was wondering if i shouldn't order the 1000cbn while Im at it, Ive been sharpening a 25cm slicer @15 degrees and its taking a long time to remove all the scratches from the 220grit SG, I have set it to 1000 and it seems to be taking for ever to change the entire scratch pattern along the knife. Is this normal? its 1.4116-x50 MoV15 so not a hard steel. Heres a pic, theres spots like this all along the edge at various places.

ABall

Just thought I would update, the CBN wheels arrived yesterday and ive had a little play, I absolutely love these things! Both wheels are the same size measured with my micrometer so theirs no need for me to faff about changing bar heights and the only thing I would say is I wish I had purchased the 1000grit too, compared to going from 160 to 400, it takes an age going from the 400 to my 1000g SG wheel. I have decided to go from the 400 straight to deburring until I can get the next CBN. Quality seems to be exceptional and I am so glad I took the plunge,

ATB
Alan

Ken S

Alan,

In my earlier replies with this topic, I stated that although I feel discussing grits is an appropriate topic, recommending non Tormek products by name, including a website is not appropriate. Please delete the last part of your last reply. If this doesn't happen, as forum moderator, I will delete the topic.

Ken

ABall

Quote from: Ken S on January 08, 2021, 08:59:02 PM
Alan,

In my earlier replies with this topic, I stated that although I feel discussing grits is an appropriate topic, recommending non Tormek products by name, including a website is not appropriate. Please delete the last part of your last reply. If this doesn't happen, as forum moderator, I will delete the topic.

Ken

Done.

Ken S

van

[/quote]
An "off topic" question
With what tools did you get this photo?
Thanks
Kindly yours

ABall

Quote from: van on January 09, 2021, 02:36:23 PM

An "off topic" question
With what tools did you get this photo?
Thanks
[/quote]

Just my phone, Samsung Galaxy S9+.

Ken S

Alan,

As a dedicated film photographer of many decades, accustomed to working with a 4x5 view camera, I have been dubious of cel phone cameras. In both film and digital, there is no shortage of mediocre work. However, your photograph is outstanding. I could not do any better with my expensive specialized Nikon close up equipment.

You are obviously a very competent photographer. I wish I knew the answer to your question. I don't, but I encourage you to keep asking.

Ken

ABall

Quote from: Ken S on January 09, 2021, 04:32:06 PM
Alan,

As a dedicated film photographer of many decades, accustomed to working with a 4x5 view camera, I have been dubious of cel phone cameras. In both film and digital, there is no shortage of mediocre work. However, your photograph is outstanding. I could not do any better with my expensive specialized Nikon close up equipment.

You are obviously a very competent photographer. I wish I knew the answer to your question. I don't, but I encourage you to keep asking.

Ken

Very high praise thank you Ken, I used to have a Panasonic G7 with a couple of grands worth of lenses but I never really used it much so I dabbled and sold it for my other other hobby, HiFi. About the only thing its taught me is I hate pictures that are not detailed and in focus, camera phones are so good now, if they have enough light they can really take good pictures with little effort as seen by my knife pic. To be fair even in lower light conditions its a great camera, it has an F1.5 - 2.4 aperture, something you know would cost more than my entire phone on a half decent camera. (I know its not a fair comparison) But also see the latest CCTV cameras, you can now buy one that has an F1.0 and it does not slip into black and white at night, the difference in the image at night is jaw dropping. Even if these cameras dont have enough light they have a supplemental LED to keep them in colour. The price for such technology, a mere £130. Trust me thats cheap for an IP camera but im getting off topic.....
I think the none polished parts of the edge are caused by inexperience, I suspect I am causing small troughs through not keeping the blade perfectly parallel during sweeps and its taking a lot more work with the finer stone to flatten it off again.