News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Slide lubricant for drill sharpening jig

Started by jeffwhit, December 24, 2020, 11:46:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffwhit

Both set of slides have become very stiff, especially the cross slide with the plastic runners.

I have cleaned them thoroughly but to no avail. What lubricant is recommended?

micha

Hi Jeff,
welcome to the forum.

The jig comes with a tube of PTFE-lubricant. So I guess that's what is recommended.
So that would be a teflon-based lubricant. But I think any white grease or even oil will do. I've tried different ones and didn't notice much difference between these.
Light oils require relubrication more often. So far, some lithium grease seems to work best for me.
I'm pretty sure you can use whatever is available without damaging anything, as opposed to running it dry.

Mike

RickKrung

I agree with micha.  Just don't be too generous such that it starts getting on other surfaces/hands, etc.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Jeff.

Good question, and well answered.

Ken

RichColvin

Quote from: RickKrung on December 24, 2020, 02:31:24 PM
I agree with micha.  Just don't be too generous such that it starts getting on other surfaces/hands, etc.

Rick

Rick,

Is the lubricant dangerous ?

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

RickKrung

I wouldn't call it dangerous.  I was thinking of if it gets on your hands and causes slippage of your grip as you move the jig, etc.  Not a big deal.  I'd sorta forgotten about it, but I haven't done any drill bits in a long time. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

ega

Perhaps worth making the point that if used with a conventional high speed grinder lubrication should be dry and minimal.