News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Grinding wheel tips from professional crankshaft grinder

Started by Louiesdad, December 20, 2020, 12:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louiesdad

Talked to one of the USA's premium crankshaft grinders for the last 40 plus years. He gave me several tips on how to maintain and use ALL types of (wet) grinding wheels. He has done this for 40 years. (These guys deal measurements in ten thousands (.0001) of an inch.)

1)Keep the fixture to true, set up, locked in place, and on the 103-105 stand,
2) True before every use (every knife is now set to sharpen with same true wheel),
3) True any time the grinding wheel is removed,
4) Buy and use the same fluids with the wheels, a crankshaft grinder uses. (https://goodson.com/collections/grinding-coolants/products/gpc-multi-duty-grinding-coolant) (Hint Hint read the description you might learn something), and
5) filter this fluid and reuse, (clean/filter out debris and metal) change every 3 mos.

Do this and save money. Plus you start at .0005 +/- every time.

Ken S

Interesting posts; thanks for posting them. They deserve more in depth replies than I can do in the middle of the night.

Ken

Ken S

This topic brings up several interesting thoughts. I have had a hobby fascination with machine shop technology and measurement for many years. I believe that our present high standard of living and electronic age are due in large part to the development of precision measurement and machine technology during the second half of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. We have had the ability to measure in millionths of an inch since the 1890s, due in large part to surface grinding.

As Tormek sharpeners, we must make ongoing decisions about how much of this precision technology is practical for our needs. How much time and cost are we willing to invest in our sharpening? Do the knives we use everyday to prepare our vegetables really benefit from 50 BESS sharpness or micropolish? An equally important practical question is how much are our customers willing to pay for having their knives sharpened? A premium sharpening service working on top on the line exotic knives may well be able to charge premium prices, but how much is the home cook or chef willing to pay to have his Victorinox kitchen knives sharpened?

We have seen "what is possible" with Tormek sharpening make dramatic advances. While some of these advances may not seem practical in the workaday world, for the dedicated sharpener, a rising tide can float all boats. The balance point between possible and practical is dynamic and moving ahead. It is good to be aware of related technology.

Ken

John_B

Quote from: Ken S on December 23, 2020, 09:58:51 AM

As Tormek sharpeners, we must make ongoing decisions about how much of this precision technology is practical for our needs. How much time and cost are we willing to invest in our sharpening? Do the knives we use everyday to prepare our vegetables really benefit from 50 BESS sharpness or micropolish? An equally important practical question is how much are our customers willing to pay for having their knives sharpened? A premium sharpening service working on top on the line exotic knives may well be able to charge premium prices, but how much is the home cook or chef willing to pay to have his Victorinox kitchen knives sharpened?

Ken

Interesting point about the things we cut. In cooking classes students are often told to tear up many of the leafy items. Some of this is for esthetics but they also say using a knife crushes the leaf. I would bet a 50 BESS knife doesn't crush much. For me watching a customer slice a tomato with their newly sharpened knives is worth the effort. Unfortunately once the knife leaves we loose control of how it is used and maintained.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease