News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Leather strop

Started by The Smoker, February 06, 2021, 03:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Smoker

Hello
What's the secret about using a leather strop to finish up a knife. Is it there a grid material in the leather or ?

cbwx34

Quote from: The Smoker on February 06, 2021, 03:20:23 PM
Hello
What's the secret about using a leather strop to finish up a knife. Is it there a grid material in the leather or ?

Are you talking about the leather wheel?  If so, then you need to add a honing/polishing compound to it.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

M7 MetaWorks

if you are referring to the leather strop wheel on the Tormek then I will say that I have found that I needed to add more mineral oil than was provided. It is winter here in Indiana and I heat with wood so I think the air is so dry that my leather has dried out and the oil has really helped keep it moist. I find it beneficial to add just a bit of oil everyday I use it (Just a few drops here and there). I also add polishing compound when honing. I know this goes against what most users are doing but I have no doubt this has been helpful for me in my environment. My leather is nice and supple.

Dongiganti

Has anyone here tried to pull the knife after the felt wheel still on an uncoated leather wheel? I get the knives very well sharp after the passage CBN ->SJ-250 -> felt wheel, but the last bit I achieve only with the bare leather belt.
My idea would be to replace the leather belt with a leather wheel, but use the smooth side here. Has anyone tried this by chance?

Greetings Markus